'Zoke shock tuning

Started by brian kirby, June 14, 2010, 07:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

After rebuilding my 'Zokes with one of Rod's kits I am pretty impressed with their performance and their design, they had to have been the best shock you could get in '77. One thing I was especially impressed with is the internals of the shock are essentially a modern "cartridge" type with a shim stack just like the forks or shock dampers on a brand new bike. The one area I would like to work on is damping, I want to go to stiffer rate springs (I've got stock black) but the shocks seem to be a bit underdamped with the lighter springs I have now. Has anyone ever experimented with adding more than the standard two shims? I have some spare ones I could use. This should increase damping just like a modern shock right? Or should I run higher viscosity oil? I used Showa 5W shock fluid when I rebuilt them.

Brian
Brian

Larry Perkins

Brian,

For moto and aggressive riding try 7W and purple springs in the layed down position or for an MC5.  Never have ridden any that the damping was messed with so I can't give any feedback on that.

Larry P

joe novak

I always liked my KONI shocks.  They are dampening adjustable, and easily adjustable, too.   Those 'Zokes were the coolest looking shocks back in the 70's.

Merlin

Yes Brian your logic is correct, if memory serves use the "2 light instead of 1 heavy shim" method and you will do fine.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".