choke

Started by don howard, June 25, 2010, 09:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don howard

Morning to all. A question about my 71 Steeltanker Is there a seal or gasket on the end of the choke cable inside the carb? And can i buy one  thanks  Don howard doho1@comcast .net

ALB

The 26/ 27mm Bing carbs with the side chokes have a fitting that goes over the end of the choke cable. This fitting has a wax type material in it at the bottom which seals off the little orfice in the bottom of the carb. When the choke lever is depressed, it pulls on the choke cable and the fitting is pulled up away from the orfice causing the engine to run rich for cold starting. Due to the age of these old Bings, when checking this fitting you most likely will find that the wax material is dry and crumbly. The tendency (if you don't know better) is to rub it with your finger nail and scrape it all out.
     If you have a Bing carb that is missing this fitting or the wax seal in the fitting is missing, the bike will start up and run great until the engine warms up. Then the engine will start sputtering because in effect, the choke is always on.
     These fittings (with the wax still inside) are very difficult to find. Most of the new old stock inventory of these are gone. A simple fix would be to fill your empty fitting with silicone and while it is still wet, place it on some wax paper (or other material that silicone will not stick to) until it is dry. This will ensure that the silicone will be "flat" when it dries.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Kip Kern

Bing has them, contact Charlie

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

Bing has them, contact Charlie

Yikes, Try Al's idea first. Wish I did. It's more fun, and easier on the wallet, to fix things yourself.

hankthecrank

Hi all. I cut a small piece of rubber and replaced the wax seal. It works great.  Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

don howard

Thanks for the advice on my steel tanker about the seal on the choke valve, will try one of them  thanks Don Howard

Kip Kern

Genuine NOS has them also @ $12