RIDE your bike(s). Read how, here!

Started by OhioTed, February 13, 2011, 08:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

How's about a fun, casual ride off-road ride, through beaootiful countryside?  Well, look no further than the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club's Spring Reliability Run.  

The whosa-whatsa-Run-what??  Hey, don't let the name throw you.  The Ohio Valley BSA Club are a wonderful buncha people, who put on this great, laid-back weekend event, twice a year.  They've got a lovely little piece of property down in the pitcher-purty green hills near Stuebenville, Ohio, just floodin' distance from the Ohio River.

So, they have this great weekend event, which features dirt-cheap camping, lotsa cool vintage bikes of all kinds, a swap meet, themed road rides through awesome, scenic countryside, Trials events, and best of all - The Reliability Run, baby!!!!

Listen, if you have any kind of bike, which even looks street legal and/or can handle riding down a gravel driveway, bring it, and ride this event!  On one hand, the ride aint boring.  I help lay it out, and make sure there is more than enough dirt to keep even Jack interested.  Ask him!  On the other hand, I rode the event one year on a street bike - and finished (ask Buehner - he tricked me into doing so).  Modern or vintage, European, Jap, British - it don't matter.  Just come out and ride!  You'll have fun, I ga-raun-tee, or Paul Danik will refund your entry fee.;)    Check it out, and drop me a line if'n you have any questions.  Hope to see you there.

Here's a link to the BSA club.  Just scroll down & click on Coming Events - Spring Classic, and Reliability Run.  http://bsa-club-ov.hailwood.com/.

http://bsa-club-ov.hailwood.com/images/c154/reliability_run_1.jpg

Bob Bean

Hey, that aint a street bike...
That was one of my first early dirt bikes.
67 Triumph 500 T100.
Rode trials, Enduro, HS and rode it to school and work too...!

Wish I could get my dad and his buddies to come down to your event.
I know they would love it..

Will see what I can do.

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

wfopete

Ted,

What are "themed road rides"?

From past posts the ride sounds like a good time but the flyer is pretty light on content of details & surrounding events.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

dennis brown

i have ridden this event on gasgas, greeves, huskys,a bsa441,puchs and it is a fum ride with some very nice people, this yr i will ride a 1985 250 husky hope to see you there

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

OhioTed

Hey, Pete - those "themed" road rides, to which I refer include a Breakfast Run, Dinner Run, Lucas Night Run, etc.  They're pretty informal, but that's the fun part.  Basically, a group of riders, mostly on vintage Brit bikes (although everything and anything is welcome) head out together, ride hilly, twisty, back-road routes to a specific (usually a restaraunt, and chow down) destination, then back to the club grounds.  If you like road riding on quiet, low-traffic, but wonderfully interesting and scenic state and county routes, in the company of friendly, enthusiastic folks on vintage bikes, you'll love these rides.  

I'll tell you what, though.  The BSA meets are just such cool, relaxing, fun events, that even if you do NOTHING but just hang out and dig what is going on around you, you'll enjoy yourself.  Stroll the swap meet.  Tromp the woods and spectate the Trails event.  Cruise the camping areas and scope out all the great, vintage bikes which show up.  Mix & mingle.  LOTS of neat folks to jaw with.  Take a swim in the creek.  Hey, lots of people do.  Camping out?  Just kick back and relax.  Have a campfire.  Is that music you hear?  If so, it might just be a bluegrass group a-pickin', over in the pavilion.  Need some chow?  Plenty of great, inexpensive fare available right there, from good ol' local folks.  And best of all, the Reliability Run.  I've ridden it on my '81 Yamaha SR500, on a '77 Honda XL175, on a '75 Can-Am 175 TNT, and on a '72 Honda XL250 - each of them virtually bone-stock, and had a ball each and every time.  Come on down.  You can't go wrong.

Oh, and best of all - chances are your cell phone doesn't work down there in the valley.  You're free!!!!  Wahoo!

OhioTed

Dennis knows what he is talking about.  Check out his fabulously cool Puch.

Then he showed up last year on that modern GasGas, and I didn't recognize him.

PS:  His early Husky is super cool, too.  Looking forward to seeing that '85, Dennis.

checkcrew

Ted,

i think your Moto-Beta Premier would be a sweet choice to ride this year,
youd be style'n - LOL -

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

OhioTed

I'll ride mine if you'll ride yours, Mike.  How 'bout it?????

checkcrew

Ted,

i would love to but my Dr's would never clear me to ride that early,

hopefully by the ISDTRR and keeping my fingers crossed for that,

thanks for the offer,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

paul a. busick

I have mentioned this ride a few time on the POG site and had little responce from our guys. I know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I will be truthful-the only time that this ride becomes a problem is for non knobbie tired bikes-if it rains too much. I don't remember the fellows name, but he was older then I and mounted on a late 1900 or early 20's HARD TAIL, GIRDER FRONT END Indian twin. He made it and then rode the trails event. Last springs ride was a wash out due to HEAVY rains before the event. But Fancey Clark the head man took us all on a road ride and found a couple of the trail sections that were ride able. I may add at NO charge to whoever wanted to tag along.  I have ridden my 175 PE Suzuki at this event with no trouble at all.  DON'T MISS THIS FUN EVENT, bring your camera and join in the fun. This ride is just plain fun and you might even win a prize.:D Oh yes, you don't have to ride an old bike bring your newer one if you want. NO LOUD bikes please and they need to look road legal. Nothing needs to work-head and tail lite and license plate.  Some fellows are mounting a sealed color photo copy of a license. After the first mile or so there is enough muddy water spray to cover the plate anyway.
Amherst Paul