Keeping Track

Started by Alan Mason, July 30, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Mason

I'm not a regular on this forum, but being a former Penton dealer and still owning a 250 Harescrambler, I do check it out about once a month. I've often wondered why the original "Keeping Track" magazines are not available to view on the site. Lots of good info and tech tips in those. I still have all of mine from 1974 on. Maybe copy write issues?:)

ALB

Due to the fact that this web site is volunteer run and that it take a lot of time just keeping up in maintaining the site, adding more information is a big undertaking to do the research, gather the information and then get it listed. I don't know of anyone who has all of the copies of "keeping track". And that would be a necessary first step in getting them listed.

All of the paid POG members receive a copy of "still...keeping track", the current newsletter of the Penton Owners Group which is published and mailed every 3 months. The next issue is due to be mailed on Sept. 1st. Each issue contains a "member profile", latest news, a "tech tips" article, classified section, events coverage, some stories, and minutes of the POG meetings.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

[email protected]

Al you and the rest of the folks involved in putting out "Keeping Track" and website do an absolutely fantastic job in getting this out to the membership.Being involved with the Hodaka newsletter "Resonator Revisited" I personally realize how tough a job and how much effort goes into this. The Hodaka newsletter is only available in an emailed form but you have chosen to mail out copies which to me is an truly great magazine. Like with POG we too are all volunteers. Lots of great ideas but not enough time or help to get them all done. I always look forward to reading my "Keeping Track" when it comes in!
Great job to all involved.
Thank you
Paul

Dale Fisher

I second Paul's remarks and would add this to the thread.  Memberships are instrumental in making the forum and website accessible, the quarterly newsletters, club functions, and merchandise/wearables possible.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

brian kirby

How many issues of Keeping Track were there?

Brian
Brian

Paul Danik

Brian,

The Penton newsletter Keeping Track, issue No. 1, is dated December 1972 and has Carl Cranke on the cover.  Issue No. 26, dated October 1976 is the last issue as far as I know, and guess who is on that cover...Carl Cranke.

Hi-Point Racing Products put out their own version of Keeping Track in October of 1978, it is issue No.1.  I do not know if they produced later versions or ???

Pryor to the Keeping Track newsletters, which were designed for and distributed to Penton owners, Penton Imports put out another newsletter titled Keep'em Winning, which was a dealer focused newsletter. The latest one of those I have is issue No. 23 dated February 1973, the earliest I have is issue No. 2 dated May 1, 1971.  

Somewhere I have a complete set of reproductions of the Keep'em Winning, but can't seem to find them this morning. If anyone has any of the Keep'em Winning newsletters and wishes to part with them I would be very interested.

As far as putting these on the website, that is a great idea and I will discuss it with webmasters Bill and Karen. The info contained in them is priceless. Jack Penton and I were trying to create a timeline of when Penton Imports changed buildings "back in the day" for our 40/10 POG bus tour, and these contained all of the needed info. Goes without saying that our memories of these moves was varied and for the most part quite hazy.....and that is just the tip of the iceberg of contained info.

Paul

brian kirby

Thanks Paul. It really shouldnt take much server space to put 26 issues on the web.

Brian
Brian

Rick Bennett

I am involved with another group, The Great War Aeroplanes Association, gwaero.com and do the newsletter for them. We put past issues onto the web site when the new issue comes out. I could get this done if I had the hard copies to work with. Anyone want to send them to me to scan? Dwight Rudder used to be one of our members flying WW1 replicas.
Rick Bennett