Original Rear Sprocket - Jackpiner?

Started by Keith Meatyard, August 02, 2010, 12:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Anybody know if this is an original sprocket for this 72-73 Jackpiner?  It counts 58 teeth, and I know I've seen a lot of the 52 teeth sprockets with the 12 oval holes machined sround the bore.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

joe novak

Hello,  If you go to the section "featured bikes" through the POG site, there is a photo of an unrestored 1972 Penton 175.  This bike can be used as a reference.   I am not an authority on the KTM/Penton's, but the sprocket looks like an aftermarket style.   Was it Circle Industries which sold those shiny-silver Aluminum sprockets years ago?  Nice looking Penton 175!   joe

ALB

Keith,

Your sprocket is an aftermarket one. The original ones were 52T and had the oval holes in them.
The one you have now is 2T smaller than the largest aftermarket sprocket that was provided by Hi-Point.

You have an original rear fender, shocks, side number plate, and alloy chain guard on your bike. Definite signs of an "easy rider" bike.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by ALB

Keith,

Your sprocket is an aftermarket one. The original ones were 52T and had the oval holes in them.
The one you have now is 2T smaller than the largest aftermarket sprocket that was provided by Hi-Point.

You have an original rear fender, shocks, side number plate, and alloy chain guard on your bike. Definite signs of an "easy rider" bike.

Alan Buehner

It may have been installed at the dealer.  I tracked down the original purchaser from the title, who said he never did a thing to the bike, he wasn't a mechanic type.  He gave the bike to the next door neighbor when he moved north in 2005. The bike had been sitting and wouldn't run.  The neighbor never even got it to crank, because he also wasn't a mechanic type.  The speedo works, and shows 985 miles.  Both of the previous owners said the bike was always inside garages in humid southern Louisiana.  This all sounds about right, because other than the surface rust from the humid air over 36 years, nothing is missing or torn up.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

garrettccovington

Looks like it even has the spring rate paint on the springs.  cool

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Rain Man

Maybe the sprocket aint original, but those gray zippy ties, I havent seen since the 70's !!
(wanna sell them[8D])

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Keith Meatyard

I've seen the ties in reproduction, gray or black, at Vintage Moto Parts on Ebay.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard