crankshaft set up

Started by gary ponce, January 31, 2002, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary ponce

i have 1972 175 jackpiner and i need to check my crankshaft for proper width from web to web and also the clearence between the connecting rod and the inside of the crankshaft web before i do my shimingon my bearings, if anyone can share this information in penton land i would be a happy piner thanks
gary ponce

john durrill

gary,
are you replacing the rod? or is it the stock rod?

gary ponce

john ,first of all thank you for responding to my question, no i'm not replacing the rod asy. i need to know the overall width of the crank asy. before i start my inplay shimming on the crank bearings.the crank asy i have the rod has no  are very little side to side play is way i question the overall width.

gary ponce
gary ponce

john durrill

Gary ,
I'm not quite sure  what your asking me.
Usually the rod pin is flush with both sides of the crank.  But when the rod was installed , the person doing the installation sets the side play on the  rod up buy pressing the crank halve together. I have a 175 crank I can look at and let you know what the side clearance is on it. would that help?
John

Edited by - John Durrill on 02/12/2002  02:43:50 AM

gary ponce

hello john, yes that would be a help when ever you get time to check the width, thanks again,  buy the way i did notice that the crank pin was not flush, it was out one side about .o10.

gary ponce
gary ponce

john durrill

gary,
 sorry to be so long in getting back to you.
 side clearanc on the NOS crank for my 125 was .015. Talked to a shop that does a lot of crank rebuilding and they said thats about right for a rule of thumb on most  125 to 200 cranks. wear limit should be somewhere in the .025 to .028 range. thats in Inches. you can use a feeler gauge to check it.
John