'72/73 Jackpiner Project

Started by Dale Fisher, September 07, 2010, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

Thankfully the project I am about to launch is mostly complete but also in need of some replacement items.  Here are the first few items and your suggestions on whether having some re-chromed (or chrome powder coat) are welcomed.  If you have something available send me an email. [email protected]

32mm Chrome fork tubes - mine are unusable in their current condition - replate?

Front and rear rims - make sense to replate?

Spoke nipples - Source for new nipples?

Handlebars - Show signs of being able to be cleaned up but some pitting will remain - replate?

Front number plate and holder for large headlight.  Have original yellow MX plate and holder.

Rear tail light holder - Have a brand new light never installed but the holder is well (see picture)

1972 Cheney Sachs
1972 Suzuki GT380
1972/73 Cheney Sachs Project
1973 Triumph TR5MX
1973 Penton Jackpiner Project
1974 Penton Berkshire
1974 Honda MT125
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Larry Perkins

Dale,

Nice chatting this morning.  I have the tubes if you want to replace them.  Probably good used nipples too.  Drop me an e-mail.

Larry P

tofriedel

Dale,

Regarding the handlebars, I rebuilt a Six Day a couple of years and a fellow Pogger purchased and races that bike today.  It was all original, including the handlebars and he was aware they were original.  The bars appeared to be good.

Unfortunately, in a race the bars broke.  Fortunately, he wasn't injured. They rusted from the inside out, not visible on the outside.

If you are going to compete with the bike, put on new bars, especially given the condition of the bike and the amount of time it spent outdoors.

Tony
Tony

Al Martin

Dale,
 My dad has a nice set of 32mm forks, polished lowers, painted triple clamps, good tubes. They need seals and wipers. You can call him at number listed in newsletter. best times 12:30 to 1:30 or 7:00 to 9:00
 Al Buehner should have taillight flap/mount.
 Nice project
Al Martin

Keith Meatyard

I recently came across an unmolested 175 JP just like you did, so I've been doing some research.  Can't replate fork tubes, too hard.  The rims should be rechromed. I tried to find some NOS, but no luck.  Several good chrome shops are referenced in the forum, and the people there understand restoration and not "over-chroming" with show chrome.  You're probably talking $130 each.  I'd like to know if the original Girling shocks can be rebuilt.  Mine have corrosion on the shafts, just want to make them look good again.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

thrownchain

You should be able to get fork tubes from Franks Forks.
Walridge motors in Canada has a direct replacement rim listed. I bought a set and they are laced the same as the originals.
Spokes from Buchanans Spokes. They will sell nipples seperate, but may want a sample for sizing purposes.

400gs6

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

You should be able to get fork tubes from Franks Forks.
Walridge motors in Canada has a direct replacement rim listed. I bought a set and they are laced the same as the originals.
Spokes from Buchanans Spokes. They will sell nipples seperate, but may want a sample for sizing purposes.

Wow, good to hear "Forking by Frank" is still in business!   -Just googled them:

Forking by Frank in Evanston, Illinois (il)
Name: Forking by Frank
Street: 945 Pitner Avenue
Evanston, il 60202-1550
Phone: (847) 475-1003

KURT FLACHBART

Keith Meatyard

After seeing thrownchain's note about rims at Walridge, I gave them a call in hopes of being able to buy correct rims for my project as well.  I talked to the owner, "Mike", who told me that the Radaelli rims that he has are for the earlier Pentons that don't have the high shouldered "mud-catcher" rims.  Darn! Sure was hoping.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

tofriedel

Keith,

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe the 72 - 73 models had the mud catcher rims, at least the ones I have don't have them.

Regards,

Tony
Tony

tofriedel

A friend of mine had a set of rims re-chromed for me a couple of years ago for a 1972 Six Day bike.  Total cost was $100.00 and they look perfect.  Except for the chrome they were in very good condition.

Sorry, but I can't divulge his name and I do not know plater.

Tony
Tony

Keith Meatyard

These are the rims that are on my three Jackpiner 175's.  Frame date codes are Feb and April '73.  All three bikes have the same rims.  Are these the rims that are called chrome mud catchers by some?  They all have "Radaelli" stamped on them.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Larry Perkins

The 72-73 Pentons indeed had chrome Radelli rims.  When you say mud catchers I think most people think of the early Akronts that were alloy like the 73 250's and most 74's came with.

Larry P