small back fire on a sixday

Started by gooddirt, September 10, 2010, 09:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Getting Clays bike going and was supplied with a rebuilt motor and older motoplat ( I only use later stator red leads and coils ) set at 2.6 btc. Iam getting a back fire 70% of the time at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle , have changed the upper coil three times and gone to red. So would the stator be going or is timing off ? If timing; is it to far advanced or the other way? [8D] LG

firstturn

Larry,
  I will be busy for the next day or so with Family, but will try and call you after that.  First just as a check take a volt Ohm meter and see how good your ground is on the motoPlat to engine etc.   Next make sure this is a electrical and not a carburetor problem.  Make sure you have a good spark plug cap on it.  When I have time to get back to the computer I will try and help you if this doesn't help.....hang in there buddy it happens to all of us if you work on them long enough.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

clayman

Thanks for all the the help you guys, especially Larry. I know how much time he's spent on the bike for me and I feel pretty bad about the problems, but with the big race a week away, time is ticking away fast. Hope somebody has some ideas. Larry, how about the stock points ignition? I have one off my old steel tanker or maybe an "A" model Six-Days, I don't remember. Maybe LP or Ric have some ideas?Anyhow, I am off to the AHRMA race in Spokane so I hope it's an easy fix for LG.
Thanks again,

Clay

gooddirt

joe novak

Hello,  Are you saying that loose head bolts caused the intermittant backfire?   Was it resolved by just tightening the head bolts?   It makes sense that a loose head would not make a great ground.   joe

firstturn

Larry,
  Great job...I have Faith in you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Britt Boyette

Clay called yesterday and was wondering if I had any ideas on the subject. I told him that if Larry couldn't figure it out then I sure couldn't. Way to go Larry!

Britt Boyette

76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
75 Can Am (future flat tracker)
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
06 KX450f
09 Kawasaki Versys
Too much of a good thing? I think NOT!
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

clayman

Amen to that! I'm excited about the Penton. It's been almost a two-year project since I bought it from our friend the "Revvin' Reverend" Thom Green (thanks Thom!) at the start of 2009, then sent the motor with JP to rebuild (thanks JP!) and finally the chassis with LG (thanks LG!).

LG- John Raleigh is sending me a heat shield in the mail today until I can find a replacement. I guess I shouldn't have sold it to him with what I thought were "leftovers" a year ago!

Clay

gooddirt

Joe the noise was a compression head (small) slap . I thought it was coming from the carb by the location of the sound . The head bolts were at about 10 ftlbs. My fault[B)].