New to POG

Started by seanguthrie, December 28, 2010, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanguthrie

Hello all, I'm new to the site and to Penton's.  However I've been riding dirt bikes since I was able to walk.  I have gotten away from them for some time and have spent my motorcycle hours fixing up old Triumphs and running them back into the ground.  I saw the POG tent at Mid-Ohio on my first trip in 2005, and really fell head over heels in love with steal tankers.  I've never had enough to afford one until recently.  I'm guessing the restore will end up breaking me in the end though.  Anyway I figured this would be the best place to start looking for info on what I have and where to find parts to get it back in the mud!  My goal is to have it ready for CC racing this spring, but that is a long shot at the moment.  Finished by Mid-Ohio is a must.

Here is what my $200 got me from a dirty garage on the Westside of Indianapolis.  I believe it is a 68.  It has a Honda motor and it looks like somebody welded an engine mount in for it.  My first order of business is to track down a 125 SACHS engine.  I'm not worried about condition as you can tell this is a ground up restore.  I would like to know what other pieces I may need and where I can locate some bits if you guys know.  Thanks for any help in advance.

-Sean Guthrie

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Steve Minor

Welcome to the family Sean...You'll find great people here and be blown away by the knowledge they have. Looks like you have a good starter! First, if you don't have a manual, that should be your first purchase. As far as Sach motors, you may be able to pick on up from a POG member or check Ebay. They have them pop up from time to time. Getting it rebuilt won't be a problem as many POG members are very well qualified. You can find parts suppliers on the Home Page. I suggest you contact Al Buehner (from the suppliers page) for a manual and most of the parts you'll need. Here's his website:

http://www.pentonpartsusa.com

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

rfpotter

But with a number like V098, is this the grandfather of all Pendas? Wicked exhaust as well.

Welcome to POG Sean.
Patrick

joe novak

Sean,  Welcome to POG.  It is nice to hear your Penton story.   You also need an exhaust, BING carb, air box, coil, and maybe a front engine mount (or make one).  The correct engine would be a cast iron (butch head) 5A for a 1968 model, but a 5A Aluminum cylinder and head will also work, since it was stock for 1970 and 1971 models.  Your photo is not clear, but check to see what is reamaining of the rear engine mount.  There should be two holes on the top and two holes on the bottom.   I notice that the rear hub and wheel assembly needs to be flipped over so the sprocket is on the other side (you will notice this when you receive your engine).   It is a very early 1968 model.  Does it have a 4 or 6 bolt sprocket and hub?   Very nice find!  Good luck.  Hope to see you at Mid-Ohio.   Joe

firstturn

Ia that V098 or 99?  Great find and you can fine so many parts to help you build it.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gordon Brennan

Looks pretty fun the way it is. Stud it up and ice race it. I'd have fun with that one and keep looking for a better candidate for a restore. That is unless your independently wealthy.

slvrbrdfxr

Sean,
Welcome to POG. There is a great wealth of knowledge available from the folks here so just feel free to ask. Your bike # V099 is very early serial number 68 Steeltanker and an excellent find. I own V0144 and it's a pretty original bike and I'd be glad to send you some pictures as a reference for your restore. Your bike is surely restoreable with some TLC. If you want to make it original some of the parts that could be difficult to locate for your bike are the correct long airbox, long steel chainguard, aluminum Borani front rim and the exhaust. Can't see from the pictures if it still has the correct 4 bolt rear hub but if not that will be a tough item to find also. Once again, welcome and congrats on the nice find. Let me know if you want some reference pics. You can email me by using my screen name here followed by @cox.net .
Dave McCullough

seanguthrie

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the info right out of the gate.  Any pictures would be much appreciated for reference.  You can email them directly to me at [email protected].
I'm going to finish tearing it down this coming week hopefully, and then off to the sand blasters to get this project going.  I'll keep you guys up to date on my progress.

-Sean G.
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213