training to ride

Started by marsattacks, October 14, 2010, 09:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Thanks again for all the insight. Answering a couple questions: I ride 1x a month tops with no practical way to add to this at present due to work, home, living in a city etc. I'm 48 soon to be 49. Novice off road rider--fully comfortable trail riding singletrack woods etc but not when the pace gets picked up so I just slow down. I'd rather avoid a step-off that puts me out of action. That just ruins everything. Life-long involvement/competition in mt biking, squash, triathlon etc and some obscure sports but I'm way more interested in doing lots of things somewhat competently than trying to focus on being as good as possible in one thing.

Re LA-B-V, I have no illusion that the current D37 race is anything like the days of the Phantom Duck of the Desert. Our Dec ride has been described to me as offering much more single track and interesting desert terrain than the D37 race simply because the D37 race has way too many participants to afford a major bottleneck. That said I still want to do D37 LA B V some day before it disappears again forever.  

I will take this advice to heart and do the best I can. WFOPete I feel for you - I have lifted moderate wts on and off for 20 yrs and now some exercises like military press, dips, arm raises are too stressful and risk long-term injury so I've cut way back.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

marsattacks

Garrett I forgot -- we arrive OC Thurs Dec 9 depart Wrightwood on Fri am and arrive Barstow that night I think. Then Sat we ride toward Vegas and spend a night in the boonies I think. Then on Sun we arrive Vegas late afternoon. If you are anywhere near I will buy you a drink. When I know better details I'll let you know. Best,  John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Rain Man

I must be the only wacho here. Don't any of you guys practice carrying the bike ?? make sure you warm up and stretch before you try this on a 450 4t;)
 ride ride ride  that's the  key

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Ron

Make sure your prepared for how cold it's going to be (especially at night, sleeping in the boonies).

454MRW

I think you should practice by pushing a stalled bike through mud holes, through the woods, and up moderate hills along with riding, riding, and more riding! Just riding alone is not enough leg strength preparation. Just keep hydrated and don't have a coronary while doing it! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
75 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
74 CR250M 07 CR125R & CR150R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R