Piner swinrarm bushings

Started by thrownchain, November 25, 2010, 09:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrownchain

Anyone have source for these, for a 1973 Jack Piner?

chicagojerry

ooooweee. i need a couple of sets of these too.  anyone have a good way to try to remove them without damage? i was trying to press them out with tube on just the outside collar but they weren't budging even after heating the swingarm up. will try something simailar again next week.  chi jer

thrownchain

According to Penton parts book, 004, Swingarm has needle bearings:  HK 2030, not bushings. Am I missing something? or are there differences?

Dale Fisher

One of the two Jerry's working on is mine.  It was built in November '72 and has the rubber bushings which are also not available.

1972 Cheney Sachs
1972 Suzuki GT380
1972/73 Cheney Sachs Project
1973 Triumph TR5MX
1973 Penton Jackpiner Project
1974 Penton Berkshire
1974 Honda MT125
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

thrownchain

Are they the same as the 6 day?

Keith Meatyard

I have three JP's, dating '73 Feb to April, and they all have the rubber bushings.  I got a pair from Al B., but they may have been the last until repos.  By the way, the 72/73 parts book is wrong in regards to the swingarm page.  The JP does have those bushings and the bolt, but there is not a open space in the forward tube like shown, but rather another tube welded there.  Others told me that the book is showing a 125 setup.  The JP has a sleeve which rests between the two bushings inside that tube section.  The swingarm bolt passes through one bushing, then the sleeve, then the other bushing, then threads into the frame.  The one I just took apart had the sleeve rusted to the bolt, and I ultimately had to cut the bolt in two in order to get the blasted thing apart (I am very familiar with this process now).  The bushing won't come out in one piece.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

hankthecrank

Hello All. Would any of the modern automotive neoprene suspension bushings come close? Could they be stuck in the freezer and machined on a lathe? Just a thought. I have done this with rubber and nylon. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Keith Meatyard

I thought these pics may help others deal with this issue.  
In this pic, you can see the original bolt and where I had to cut through it and the inside sleeve of the bushing.  The inside bushing sleeve got pushed out of the rubber by putting a large c-clamp over the outside of the frame and the inside of the swingarm to prevent the bolt from jacking the frame apart while unscrewing it.  Since the spacer sleeve was stuck to the bolt, as the bolt is unsrewed, and attempts to move out, the spacer (stuck to the spacer) shoves the inside bushing sleeve out of the rubber part.

This pic shows how the assembled bolt, spacer, and bushings line up inside the swingarm tube.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Doug Bridges

My 73 Jackpiner has the rubber bushings. I was lucky enough not to have this problem on mine. Recently I picked up a 73 Rickman Zundapp 125 and that I am working at restoring. It has a nearly identical swingarm set up as the Penton Except the swingarm bolt is not threaded in to the frame. This one was stuck bad. I was able to free it by drilling a hole in the top of the swingarm tube that house the bushings and sleeve. I filled the housing with a 50/50 mixture of Aero Kroil and auto trans fluid. I let it soak over a period of a week.Every once in a while I would heat  up the bolt with a propane torch from both ends just until I started to see smoke from the rubber bushings and then stopping and then smacking it with a hammer and trying to turn it. After a week it finally broke loose. I think that this method might free up some of the Penton singarm bolts that are seized and would be worth a try.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton
project
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

joe novak

I have machined swingarm bushings out of bronze.  I always install a grease-fitting when I have swingarms apart (not needed with rubber type bushings) and use NEVER-SIEZE.   Doug, great idea on how to loosen frozen swingarms.  Thank you. joe