Racer X Illustrated Old School Moto - Moiseev

Started by baxtermcc, November 24, 2010, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxtermcc

I don't know how many POG members are also Facebook members, but if you are, you may want to consider becoming a fan of Racer X Illustrated.  They have been posting many vintage motocross photos under the banner - Old School Moto Photo of the day.  I've only begun to look at their collection but so far I've found great photos of Bob Hannah, Donnie Hansen, Jimmy Weinert and a great 1979 Suzuki magazine ad with Roger DeCoster standing between his works bike and a production RM400.

Of interest to many of you may be this photo I found of Gennady Moiseev.  There easily could be more, but this one of a collection of 200+ photo and the first I happened across.  I hope you enjoy this.
Bob

Today's Old School Moto Photo of the day is none other than The Russian! Gennady Moiseev was the greatest rider the old Soviet Union ever produced. Hailing from St. Petersburg, he was an officer with special privileges in the Soviet Army. His skill on a motorcycle allowed him to cross into Western Europe and the U.S. to compete on the 250cc FIM World Motocross Championship circuit. He was notorious for pounding his CZ motorcycles into submission, but then halfway through the 1972 season, his party leaders decided it would be okay for him and his USSR teammates to switch to Austria-made KTM motorcycles. What followed were three 250cc world titles for Moiseev in the seventies--and he lost the '76 250cc title to Heikki Mikkola by a single point! He was tough, mysterious and very driven on the racetrack; he also gained infamy when his teammates tried to knock his rival Jaroslav Falta out of the last GP of 1974 in Switzerland with dirty tactics while he nursed a knee injury. Gennady's glory days ended when the Soviet Union started running out of money, and they could not afford to keep him on KTMs after 1980. He retired to St. Petersburg, and has been known to pop up here and there on the GP circuit. Photo by Pat Boulland.

glowride

Thanx baxter,
  He was one of the toughest in the World 250. The Racer X photo is from the 1979 Spanish 250 Grand Prix, which is the series opener so to speak for the '79 season starting in April. Considering he just finished the '78 season with his 3rd World 250 Championship & the Motocross Des Nations (500cc) win with Russian Team comrades Kavinov, Korneev & Khoudyakov, I think he was pegged to do more damage in the World 250. They also finished a respectable 6th (out of 15 countries)in the Trophee Des Nations (250cc ) of '78, right behind the US team of Hannah, Sun, Staten, & Croft.
  This Russian team of KTM riders went on to win the 1979 Trophee Des Nations while Kavinov and Moiseev finishing 3rd & 4th in the World 250 for '79.
  So all in all these Russian racers and KTM made some impressive runs in the 1970's European motocross scene. Making KTM/PENTON motorcycles famous for reliability and championships.
  For those of you who don't know this, the PENTON logo with the bike and rider is actually taken from a photo of Moiseev at the 1972 Swiss Grand Prix. Where he took a 3rd overall with a 6-1 placing in this final round for the year. Pavel Rulev & Moiseev finished 10th & 11th in the championship for the year with a mid season jump from CZ to KTM.
  If any of you KTM/PENTON entusiasts are interested, I do have several posters for sale on ebay. They are of Moiseev and Kavinov at the 1977 British 250 GP at Hawkstone Park, Where they clinched the '77 World championship 1st & 2nd for the season. Andre Malherbe also on KTM took 3rd for the year. KTM with a 1 2 3 punch.  This popular photo shot has been used in sales brochures of the day and as reference for many articles on the team KTM Russian riders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250740617099&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Regards, MG
'77 KTM 250 MC5
'82 KTM 250 MCII

'72 Swiss 250 GP

'77 British 250 GP

glowride

A couple more shots from the 1979 Spanish 250 GP. They look pretty agressive to me!

Moiseev

Kavinov

Moiseev

Kavinov