Safety wire?

Started by kenbike, December 22, 2010, 05:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenbike

Was going to safety wire my 250 this winter and looking for suggestions on fasteners on these bikes to wire.  My bike is a rider but would like to safety wire in a fashion that would be in keeping with a vintage bike.  I need to purchase safety pliers, wire, and drill bits so looking for suggestions if any POG vendors carry.

Larry Perkins

Any MSR dealer sells the pliers and wire for safety wiring.

Larry P

t20sl

Just my opinion but it is a waste of time.  In over 40 years of riding and competition I have NEVER had a bolt come loose.  Yes I have had a bolt or two come off but only due to my forgetting to tighten it when I put it on.  I check the major fastners like engine mounts frequently but will have to say I don't find them loose but still check once in a while.  Safety wiring does not let you check a bolt easily.  If you have  a bike that is shaking properly tightened bolts loose then you have another more serious problem somewhere.  Nylok nuts work fine where used, as do lock washers.  Personally I like the Japanese style UBS nuts but that wouldn't be correct on many bikes.
Ted Atkinson

joe novak

The only nut which ever fell off any of my motorycyles was the one in the rider's seat!     Joe

Mark P

Quotequote:Originally posted by joe novak

The only nut which ever fell off any of my motorycyles was the one in the rider's seat!     Joe

Well, I can't pass this up. So Joe, maybe safety wiring the rider to the bike?!!LOL(just a little humor...)

Terence McEnally

Go to the EAA homebuilders website and see if there are some instructional videos on safety wiring for aircraft. I would say that safety wiring on light aircraft is at least as important as on an MX bike (or vice versa).Youtube is also a great source of info. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has some good safety wire tools (not just pliers and wire of various gages but drilling jigs etc). They're a great supplier of all kinds of stuff that is useful for various hobbies.

"Don't cry hon. Think of it as an investment."
\\"Illegitimi Non Corborundum\\"

kenbike

I agree with the only nut so far that fell off my bike is me!
I have a drag bike and a old Duc 900 for a few track days and I need to safety wire the oil filters and drain plugs, and any thing else that I think is a go idea.
As a kid we used wire and wrapped our spokes when they cross to make them stronger, I bet that did not help one bit but feel felt better.

I might just go with locking nuts and been done with on the Penton.