Front Rim Question

Started by Mick Milakovic, December 27, 2010, 01:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, I'm wanting to convert a '73 Jackpiner mud-catcher type rim to a shulderless and have two to choose from.  The bike already has a DID shoulderless on the back.  Which of the two below would work?

Sun rim, 36 hole, stamped 04 77 and 771002 and T-1600-21:

DID rim, 36 hole, stamped J21x160 and 3 86 DOT and 1.60x21 and 96--08 09--:

Thank you,

Mick
Mick

TGTech

Mick,
If you are racing of the bike, then the Sun rim was very strong and I love the Sun rims. If you aren't racing, then you the DID on the rims.
Dane

joe novak

Both those rims look like a little NEVER-DULL will polish them right up like new.   joe

gooddirt

Are the Sun/DID rim spoke holes drilled for a full width hub? It makes things easier when lacing ;won't have to bend the spokes.  They might have a clear coat on'em , don't want to burn out your elbow. LG

Mick Milakovic

Not sure about them being drilled for full width hub; how do I tell?

Mick
Mick

gooddirt

Have the old hubs ? [:0]On the DID the holes will all be in the same spot in the raised nipple mound on the rim. Look close. Harder on the Sun. I have never had a mystery Sun rim. Maybe insert nipples and check the angles[?] LG

Mick Milakovic

Pretty sure the DID came of a YZ250 1976, not sure about the Sun, but probably not a Penton.

Mick
Mick

gooddirt

With the rim being a front 21in, might be more leeway with the longer spokes when lacing . Depending on the front forks triples you are running and if you are going to need a offset of the hub. LG