Barbour 1964 ISDT Replica Jacket

Started by marsattacks, January 01, 2011, 10:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Barbour apparently has just introduced a 1964 ISDT replica jacket.  It is offered in "new" green and distressed and also brown.  Apparently there also is a Steve McQueen version with a US patch.  Belstaff made a replica a few years ago and Barbour was hacked off that they used a photo of McQueen in a Barbour.  Here is a link to the rather elaborate web site.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=75thAnniversary.international

Although the video is nicely done the riders are on trials bikes.   It is more of an SSDT/trials practice effect.  I don't understand why Barbour would go to such extremes to attempt to produce an "authentic" effect and then commit a gaffe like that when it would be so easy to get it right.  I guess the ad agency thought the trials looked more cool.  There is a DOT and a Matchless in there.  Anyway, on the jacket check out the rear pockets and the other details.  It is going to be very expensive of course and looks like it probably is in the $500-600 range (just a guess from the UK pricing, from which you would deduct 17.5 VAT).  A friend saw one at Barneys in NYC last week and said it looked pretty cool but didn't see the US price.  I think the patch actually detracts from it (unless of course you were in the 64 ISDT!!)
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

desmond197

These jackets are a big deal among the fashion set. I have a friend that is a well know fashion photographer and she has one as well as my lady friend that plays in a death metal band. Price a used one on Ebay I think a Sammy Miller one from the 70's sell for $900 last time I checked. They loved my late 70's Red and grey Sinselo enduro jacket with the Bultaco patches in NYC at fashion week.

marsattacks

Ha ha I will watch to see when a 1968 steel tanker shows up in one of my wife's fashion magazines.  It is all about the accessories anyway.:):)

From the power of Google we now can learn that J. Crew offers three different ISDT replica jackets -- these links might not work but you get the idea.

1.  The above mentioned Barbour in distressed cotton. $$$$895

2. A new version of the Belstaff McQueen replica (now called the "Icon Racing" jacket due to what I am sure is a dispute over publicity rights with the McQueen estate) with USA patch and rear tool pockets.  $$$$$1050  I guess you could trade in a Jackpiner rider for one if you were so inclined.

3.  And for the tot who wants to be the envy of his friends as he rides enduro through Grammercy Park and Park Avenue, a min-Trialmaster!![:0][:0]  $$325 but if you act fast Mommy there is a 30% off coupon and free shipping -- it might not be outgrown for two seasons if you buy oversized!!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

desmond197

I think a couple years ago there was a Steel Tank Penton in a fashion mag spread.  Super cool and trendy and $900. I still want one but that is out of my price range.

t20sl

I still have my first Barbour jacket.  Maybe Belstaff, will have to dig it out and look at label.  I think it was a Small or size 36.  Wore it  in 1970 and other enduros when I was sixteen to seventeen.  Doesn't fit anymore.  Anyone interested make me an offer.
Ted  [email protected]

desmond197

I wear a 42 other wise I would buy it. Any one have one in my size for sale let me know.

joe novak

I dragged out my old jacket and wore it when I rode my motorcycle at the Penton 40th Anniversary Celebration Parade.   I guess an almost 40 yr. old jacket fit in well with all the Vintage motorcycles.  Joe

Paul Danik

Your thread gave me the idea to dig into some stuff I haven't looked at in years....

I found a Belstaff jacket labeled "Made in England", "The original since 1924, size XXL  122 CM    Euro 62", it looks to have been used on a couple of trail rides, just a slight amount of use.  No tears or even any scuffs. Padded elbows and shoulders, and it has the belt.

The pants look to be brand new never worn, the tag says "A Genuine Belstaff Product", but it states that they were made in Australia by DRIZA-BONE.  Anybody know why that would be, are they a knock-off?
pants size is 1L  88cm.

If I gain a few pounds and a little height, I might be able to look fashionable :)

Paul

marsattacks

Paul, I think this link might contain the answer to your question.  I think it is safe to say that you have an officially licensed version made in Australia although the stated years in the quote might not be exactly consistent with your own experience.  An excerpt is quoted below:

"Belstaff (for whom I used to work) formed an association with Drizabone to sell each others products in what had previously been the other company's market. This was (I seem to remember) 1992 or 1993 - soon after the closure of the original factories in Longton and Silverdale. A few Belstaff styles (mainly Trialsmaster) were made in Australia with the 'joint' label you describe and Drizabone style garments (manufactured in Australia) were sold in Belstaff stockists in the UK - mainly stock coats. Without more details I'm not sure which jacket you are referring to. The arrangement did not survive the takeover by the present Italian owners in 1994-5.

If you want a Trialsmaster like McQueen's, by the way, you are going to have to pay big money. The design changed in the middle 70s and 'his' is one of the 60s series. Very rare now. You may want to consider a Barbour version from the same period, as being less collectable they are more common."

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19310-Belstaff-Drizabone-Trialmaster-Wax-Cotton-Jacket
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

TGTech

When I started in racing in the enduro, I had a Barbour jacket and pants. Over the time from 1969 through 1972, the parts went "away" and got some holes. In 1973 we got some Belstaff jackets and pants and they went very good.

When I went to the ISDT in Isle of Man and used the Belstaff cloths. After the IDST went to London and found a Barbour store and I bought a new jacket. And I didn't used the racing and by jacket was very good.

Dane