Restoration opinions needed....

Started by skiracer, January 27, 2011, 07:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I am working on a couple of late 70's KTM's and have a question on the plastic...  One of the bikes has the original front fender, stamped with the KTM logo.  I need to replace the rear fender, and the side panels.  So, do I replace the front fender too so that they all match, or do I reuse the original fender....  Of course it has the usual nicks and scrapes, but it is not too bad.  It is not a money issue, but rather what is a better project.  The bike is going to be used for riding and competing, not a trailer queen.  Your thoughts are gladly appreciated.  Thanks, James

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
2002 KTM 200 EXC
1976 Husqvarna 175GP
1979 KTM 250 GS (Project)
1981 KTM 250 (Project)
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Larry Perkins

If it is a rider/racer and it looks decent, I say run it, as it will work just as good as a new one and it then does not sit and go to waste.

Larry P

marsattacks

James I would say definitely run it! -- the repops won't ever have the logos or probably the pure shape either -- there is something to do with the difference between injection-molded and extruded processes that I don't understand that makes a difference in the crispness of the shape.  There is a lot of info on doing a mild resto of faded plastic that might make that fender stand up really well to the new ones.  Good luck.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike