looking for tires

Started by dave, March 10, 2002, 10:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

I am putting my 175 jackpiner back together after some 10 years in storage and was wondering if anybody knew a good place to get replacement tires. The front is a 3.00x21 and the rear is a 4.10x18 4pr. I have looked at tire places but of course the new sizes dont match what I have so I am in a bind. Just looking for a good replacement for the weekend rider that will most likely be riden 100% off road. Thanks to all that can help

Steve Minor

try //www.discountmotorcycletire.com .They may have something you can use.

The Cheng-Shin tires use the "old size" method.

Edited by - steve minor on 03/11/2002  07:46:21 AM
Steve Minor

Kip Kern

Dave

Steve is correct, Cheng-Shin(sp?) C-755 is a Metzeler copy.  About $25-$30 each from Dennis Kirk, and are excellent tires!

Paul Danik

Dave,
   Proper tire selection goes a long way to making your ride enjoyable.  Are you from the east and riding mud, or the west and riding rock or sand or???????  Too hard of a compound and the mud will give you fits, to soft and the rocks will tear them up and you can pinch your tube against the rim.  If you are only riding around the back yard then anything will work, but if you really intend to ride that machine then post some info about your area and we will try and guide you to a decent tire.

dave

I am from the east [ Maryland ] so not a whole lot of rocks. Just mud,sand,and dry mud. Thanks for your wisdom so far,look forward to more.

Paul Danik

Dave,
   My son rides a Jackpiner and I am on a CMF 125.  We both use 100/100 18 rear tires and 80/100 21 on the front.  As far as tire selection the Jackpiner has Dunlap 756 on both ends and the 125 has Dunlap 752 on both ends.  These tires are a soft compound and work and wear well.  We just put new tires on my son's 2002 KTM 200 EXC, we went with the Michelin S12 on the rear and the Michelin M12
on the front. The Michelin front only comes in a 90/90 21 which is fine.  The 130/80 18 rear should work on your piner.  Michelin sizes their tires a little different than Dunlap.  The S is for soft compound and the M is for medium compound. The Dunlaps are a couple of bucks cheaper than the Michelins, they were about $ 50.00 per tire.  We buy from Rocky Mountain  at 1-800-336-5437.  Call them and get their catalog, it has lots of tire info and tons of other items.  They have a website at //www.rockymountainmc.com  I went into the KTM forum of the Holeshot engineering website, which is listed in the POG links section, and looked for tire related questions and was able to get a wealth of tire info.  Most of those guys run the above listed tires in the type of terrain you and I both have.  I am north of Pittsburgh and have clay and mud with some rock thrown in. As I said before, if you plan on riding that machine the $$$ spent on tires is well spent.  I rode a vintage MX at Daytona a few years back with correct vintage tires and when they watered the track after  intermission I went on my very vintage rearend! Hope this helps.
Paul
PS  I still end up on my rear, but I can't blame the tires!!!!!!!

dave

Thank you all for your help! In case your wondering I went with the dunlop 756 front and rear. The recommendations from you guys and the man who rebiult my motor,and who races vintage bikes was the determining factor.Everybody on here is great and full of info. and that is awesome to us guys getting back into this after 10 or so years.Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!  Dave

Dwight Rudder

Depending on the bike, what tires I use. I prefer the Pirelli MT16 in 300X21 and 400X18.
These are excellent tires and work great. They have the vintage pattern on tread too. So they look right. If you are cheap and want to run Cheng Shin or Kenda , you can run the 4.10x18 on rear (equal to about a 3.75) or the C/S 4.60 which is about a 400-4.25 size tire. I think the tires should match the bike. I hate to see a vintage machine with modern tires. It just ain't right.

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.