Field Trip

Started by Paul Danik, May 04, 2011, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

About a month ago Judy and I had the absolute pleasure of touring the Wheels Through Time Museum located in Maggie Valley, NC. The link below will take you to their website, I can not begin to explain the Museum as well as the website does so I won't try.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/

I can not begin to tell you folks how impressed we were with not only the museum, but also the man behind the museum, Dale Walksler, and all of his staff. Dale treated Judy and I like we were invited guests to his home. When we arrived home a post card arrived a day later thanking us for visiting and inviting us back. From what I understand this is how everyone is treated. Dale goes through his Museum starting antique motorcycles and explaining the history of the machine as it rumbles. I had read about this museum numerous times, but no words can properly describe what Dale has created and what an experience it is to visit Wheels Through Time.

We had picked up a Steel Tanker in Ashville, NC and it was in the back of the pick up, Dale made a point to ask about the bike and then he had to climb into the bed of the truck and check it out. He invited any and all Penton owners to visit the museum and even to hold a meeting there if so desired.  You POG guys in that area ought to maybe plan a visit and set up a few bikes out side....I will guarantee you it will be one memorable time.....:)

Below is a link to a  film clip of Dale being a gracious host to some visitors to his Wheels Through Time Museum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNmFPW9DILw

Paul

rfpotter

It is a great museum. I finally got over there again last summer with my ten year old, Cale, and since it was Father's Day I got in free, which was nice.

Dale spoke to us every time he saw us, and made the effort to engage Cale, which, again, was very considerate because he had a pretty good crowd that day.
Lots of bikes, but the hill climber display and the board track racer display were my favorites. Even have a board track sidecar racing rig which probably was a very exciting thing to race. Highlight for me was firing up the Traub for a few minutes. Amazing sound.

Easy to get to, in a very biker friendly town.

Patrick
Cosby,Tennessee

OUCWBOY

Awesome! I had never heard of this place, but thanks to Paul it is on my Bucket List!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

SouthRider

Sounds neat - there is a similar place in Warm Springs, GA (the home of Roosevelt's "Little White House" and a few miles from Callaway Gardens.

The Art In Motion motorcycle museum is a must see. They also have a fantastic collection of jukeboxes & the predecessors to jukeboxes.

He has a lot of very rare bikes including some steam driven, tons of Harleys, Indians, and a nice British selection.

http://www.prestonopportunities.com/Art%20in%20Motion/museum.html

http://www.prestonopportunities.com/fotoexpix.html
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Paul Danik

SouthRider,

Thanks for the information on the Art In Motion museum and Callaway Gardens. Years ago our garden center sponsored a gardening show called Victory Garden on our local public TV station, a lot of it was filmed at Callaway. I have never visited it and am glad you jogged my memory about it, if we get near this area we certainly will make a point to visit them.

While visiting Wheels Through Time, Judy and I also visited the North Carolina Arboretum, I always try to include visits to public gardens while chasing Pentons, it makes selling the trip to the better half much easier :), and we both truly do enjoy visiting them. The entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway is also near to Maggie Valley, we drove it the entire length and then did Skyline Drive, all on the way home from picking up the Penton.  

http://www.ncarboretum.org/

I found some great photos of Wheels Through Time on their website and thought you folks might enjoy them. Just scroll down to the bottom left and click....and enjoy.

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=291

I hope that including the gardens and other nearby attractions doesn't offend anyone.  We live in a most beautiful country and there is so much to see and do, and lots of it can be done while following our passion for Pentons :)

Thank you,
Paul

Tom Murphy

Deanna and I are vacationing in the Gatlinburg area this week.  After seeing Paul's post, we rode over to the museum yesterday.  This place is just awesome, it doesn't feel like a museum at all, more like hanging out in Dale's 40,000 sq. ft. shop!  

Trapper the gardener met us out front, introduced us to the dogs, pointed out all of his wildflower blooms and took us inside.  Christine the receptionist made us feel like long lost friends, made coffee for us as the ride over was quite chilly.  Dale fired up a half dozen bikes and is like a kid in his own candy shop.  His son Matt followed us around from one area to another and is a walking encyclopedia of vintage motorcycle information.  We had a wonderful time, I could spend a few days in there!

Thanks for the post Paul, I had not heard of the Wheels Through Time museum.

I also put my name in the raffle for this year's bike give away, a '36 Knuckle!

Tom Murphy
'73 250 Hare Scrambler
'74 125 six day
'81 RM125
'82 RM250
Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

Paul Danik

Tom,

You are vacationing in a beautiful area, I am glad you enjoyed Wheels Through Time.  What did Deanna think of the museum?  Judy absolutely loved it, pretty neat when the better half enjoys it as much as we do.

As far as the raffle tickets you bought for the '36 Knucklehead or $ 25,000.00 that helps to support the museum, they told me that my tickets probably contain the winner :)

Paul

Tom Murphy

She loved it too Paul, we stayed for hours!  I really hope you have the winning ticket (especially if I don't;))

Tom Murphy
'73 250 Hare Scrambler
'74 125 six day
'81 RM125
'82 RM250
Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

acemoto

PAUL IF YOU WIN THE 36 KNUCKLEHEAD
I WILL GLADLY BUY IT FROM YOU FOR 35000
AS THEY USUALLY SELL AT 100000 TO 125000
ORIGINAL PAINT ONES HAVE BEEN KNOW TO GO FOR 180000 TO 200000
DALE IS FROM ILLINOIS AND US TO BE A HD DEALER
GREAT GUY
LARRY

SouthRider

Paul

If you ever do get down to Callaway bring your mountain bike. The entire park/gardens/golf course is surrounded by an asphalt bike path.

There is also a fantstic indoor butterfly garden and horticultural center as well as the "Victory Garden South".

With me no longer being able to ride "real" bikes, the wife & I have taken up "soft" mountain biking and hiking. We just traded the toy hauler for a 5th wheel camper. Will still rebuild bikes & make a few events - but it's time to keep Mama happy, and I love the outdoors.

We found a great campground a couple miles from Callaway. The Little White House was a "must see" also.

We love the Blue Ridge Parkway, and get up there every few years.

Hey - did you ever get your new impact wrench?

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mike Burgess

Quotequote:Originally posted by SouthRider

Paul

If you ever do get down to Callaway bring your mountain bike. The entire park/gardens/golf course is surrounded by an asphalt bike path.

There is also a fantstic indoor butterfly garden and horticultural center as well as the "Victory Garden South".

With me no longer being able to ride "real" bikes, the wife & I have taken up "soft" mountain biking and hiking. We just traded the toy hauler for a 5th wheel camper. Will still rebuild bikes & make a few events - but it's time to keep Mama happy, and I love the outdoors.

We found a great campground a couple miles from Callaway. The Little White House was a "must see" also.

Clark

Clark,

Sorry to hear that you can no longer ride "real bikes". Just find a way to stay involved and you'll be fine. Paul,Clark or any other POG member if your up my way stop by for some coffee or Tea. Who knows maybe even some good ole coonass cooking too! We love the Blue Ridge Mtns. here in WV.

Mike Burgess

Quotequote:Originally posted by SouthRider

Paul

Clark

Clark,

Sorry to hear that you can no longer ride "real bikes". Just find a way to stay involved and you'll be fine. Paul,Clark or any other POG member if your up my way stop by for some coffee or Tea. Who knows maybe even some good ole coonass cooking too! We love the Blue Ridge Mtns. here in WV.