04 85 sx & 86 80 mx

Started by silver, April 02, 2011, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silver

I had it all figured out for my son, motocross in the summer, hockey in the winter. Well about the time we bought the new 85 sx he got more serious about hockey and the racing career was over. Hopefully these bikes can go to a Penton/KTM family.
    "04" 85, bike was bought new. Some of the early 04s had tight crank bearings and were recalled. Our bike was not one of the recalls. Less than 20 total hours and never raced. Bike has Renthal fat bars,Pro Curcuit pipe and silencer + a forestry approved silencer. Spare parts include Renthal rear sprocket,chain guide,kickstarter and new Michelin rear tire.
     "86" 80, I thought this would be a fun bike project while the kid was still on a 65. These bikes are hard to find but Barry Higgins at H&H fixed me up with enough old parts to build a bike. Parts were not too hard to find, all new plastic, tank was in good shape and still white. Cylinder was bored to 85cc and rechromed. Later model 80s were bored to 85cc. New parts included pipe and radiator. Best mod for the bike was a proper sized carburator. These bikes came with 35mm carbs, a bit large for an 80. I put on a 28mm flat slide Kehein and used yz 85 jetting. Bike runs clean for a non power valve 80.
     While researching the 80 I found an old MXA test comparing the KTM with the Japanese 80s. MXA said the KTM narrowly missed the mark liking the handling but felt the over carburated engine was a bit too peaky. 5 years later in a MXA article on the worst mx bikes ever made the 80 made the list. Nice to see MXA has always been consistent at speaking out of both sides of their mouth.
    Sorry to ramble on but I think its nice to know a little history. I will post some pics when my daughter teaches me how to do it.

$2200.00 for both
                               thanks, Phil Peterson
                                 630-300-8628