Mint 400 question

Started by Steve Minor, April 05, 2002, 09:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Can someone please tell me what year(s) the Mint 400 was produced? I have an undated manual that lists the Mint 400 and wondered if the information can be applied to my 1977 400gs6...how do they differ?
Thanks
Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 04/05/2002  11:18:07 AM
Steve Minor

Rocket

Steve
The Mint was 1st produced in 74 and continued through 76, after that they became MC5's and GS6's.  I think the 74-76 were basically the same except for the rear shocks, early had Ceriani's and later Marzzochi's.  The early 400's had a higher compression ratio I have heard.  I would imagine that the motors from the early one's are basically the same as the 77, can't say forsure.  Your frame should be completely different than the 74-76 model.  Larry Perkins has the manuals for the GS6 series of bikes.
Rocket

metalkfab

Speaking of Mint 400's,I see Rocket has the honor of " pic of the month ".She's a beaut!

Heinz Raidel

Folks, Rod's bike was/is even more beautiful in real life.  the photo doesn't seem right, it looks warm and there's no snow on the ground out there in almost Iowa!!!
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

Rocket

I would like to thank Al Buehner and Larry Perkins for the parts and advice on the restoration of my 400.  Also thanks to Doug for getting my 400 for "pic of the month".  It feels like quite an honor.
Rocket

Mike Lenz

Rocket where do you live generally speaking. IM in the Peoria IL area. Sounds as though you may not be too far away. I have 3 penton 400's and am building a fourth. I love em.

Rocket

Mike
I live about 75 miles north and a little west of you.  I am about 6 miles south of Morrison on highway 78.  
Rocket

Larry Perkins

I did not think there was a Mint 400 in 76.  I thought only 74 and 75.  Anybody else have a spin?

Rocket

Larry
You might be correct on the Mint not available in 76.  I think that is the first  year the orange bikes started showing up and the leftover 75's might have been titled as 76's.  In 1977, I had a 250 with the orange tank and the older style frame, not a GS6 or MC5 type.  It had the leading axle Marzocchi's front end.  I imagine it was a leftover 76 that got titled as a 77.
In the bike registry, I see one 400 that has the year as 76, interested to see if that is a white tank or an orange one.
Rocket

rhermes

SORRY ROCKET,I LISTED MY 75 INCORRECTLY AS A 76.WHITE TANK MULTI POSITION SHOCKS.