Motoplat repair

Started by Tom Murphy, May 12, 2011, 09:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Murphy

I saw the following post on Mark's site tonight and thought I would share it here.  Maybe some poggers already know this guy. Tom

I'd like to strongly recommend a Motoplat repairing service I found. I first called the guys at Penton. They were very helpful and offer a service where they will check your unit, but they DON'T repair them. I then found Motoplat Repair in a Google search. A Fellow named Vance Smith in Michigan will check your entire unit, and if it's faulty, he opens up the red plastic case, rewinds the coil or whatever else is needed and then recoats the job in clear epoxy. Mine had fried the diode and coil windings. Just $150 later it now sparks like a new one--and only about three days turn-around! He returns emails same-day and is very helpful. Can't recommend this guy highly enough."

Tom Murphy
'73 250 Hare Scrambler
'74 125 six day
'81 RM125
'82 RM250
Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

pketchum

Vance is a stand-up guy and I highly recommend him.  He's also an expert with the Hercules marque as well.

Phil Ketchum
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

JCHubbard

Couldn't of said it better myself Phil.  

John Hubbard
JC Hubbard

pklinck

Yes, i just had my motoplat redone by Vance.  What we did as per my choice, was to rewire a new ignition coil (or armature)in 6 volt while we rewired a one of the lighting armatures in 12 volt.  And then if i understood it correctly, he attached the other existing lightinh coils in series.  The result is that it sparks in 6 volt while all the lighting became 12 volt.  It came out nice.

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

Yes, i just had my motoplat redone by Vance.  What we did as per my choice, was to rewire a new ignition coil (or armature)in 6 volt while we rewired a one of the lighting armatures in 12 volt.  And then if i understood it correctly, he attached the other existing lightinh coils in series.  The result is that it sparks in 6 volt while all the lighting became 12 volt.  It came out nice.

peter klinck
peter klinck