BECOMING A MAN

Started by Larry Perkins, May 28, 2011, 03:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Well, my Penton Brothers this is a momentous day in my life.  Bluntly, I am retiring from motorcycle racing.  I know I said this once before but that was because I was tired of getting hurt.  This is because I have finally become a MAN.  

You see I have raced motorcycles or bicycles for 42 years and I did it like a boy.  I never did it like most of you.  I always did it to excess.  Most people say to themselves, "I want to ride dirt bikes."  I say to myself, "I want to be the World Champion at dirt bikes."  I always go to excess and give 150%.  In racing I would spare no effort, no sacrifice was too big, no bill too important to put off so I could race.  I had good success with this and in those 42 years I parlayed that method into 9 National Championships on the motorcycle, a World and National Championship on the bicycle, a Best In The Desert Championship, and a 2nd for the season as a Pro in the SCORE Baja Series.  However, I left much in the wake.  Relationships, bills, security, and my psyche suffered from this dedication.  

The latest thing to suffer is concentrating so much on how to race that I failed to properly provide, care for, and meet the psychological needs of The Love of My Life and myself.  This was the most dynamic loss I ever suffered and it made me reflect a lot.  It made me realize that racing was not the most important thing in my life.  Beyond God it is the Dearest woman on the planet in my eyes, Marcia.  those that have known me a long time know as I have expressed it to you that there was never a woman in my life like this one.  It is no longer acceptable to leave her in the wake of boyish things.  I now will end the long ride and work on being the loving endearing man I can become and rise to another level of being caretaker and provider for now and the future.  

My Dearest Friend and Mentor Ron Carbaugh recently told me that there was no need for me to race anymore that I had nothing to prove.  He was right.  On the track I have succeeded at most anything I set my mind to.  Marcia recently reminded me I could do anything I set my mind to and now I need to prove I can win at life.  That I can be responsible and that I can provide for my loved ones in all ways.  I am pumped at this new endeavour and this new Man.  I will prove this to myself, to Marcia, and to friends and family.  It is late in life to become a man and do the right thing but it is important I have recognized the error of my ways and it is never too late.  As in racing I will succeed.  I must, for two hearts depend on it.

I will still eventually ride but only on the street bike until all the financial ducks are in a row.  I hope Marcia will choose to ride on the back with me into a new future that will be grander than any I ever envisioned.  If anyone has a super job opportunity for a great salesman, a really good speaker and writer, a dedicated employee, and it has insurance and benefits please keep me in mind and let me know.  I have a man to grow, a family to feed, and The Love of My Life to spoil.

Please do not make fun of this and respect myself and Marcia.  You guys are great and I hope to still catch an event here and there and do some good spectating.  Perhaps you might get to meet someone I hope with work will still be My Gal.

Larry P

brian kirby

You are doing the right thing Larry, I know exactly where you are coming from.

Brian
Brian

firstturn

Larry,
  You and I have traveled many roads and we have been Blessed to hopefully been winners more often that losers.  This is justyour  Life's Journey and you will need to work hard and do not let small failures detour you from Winning.  I will share with you and others who read this my advice to you for what it is worth.  I have used it in my Life.

"If one Dream fails you look up and Dream again"  I have used it all my life and I Pray it works for you.

Thanks for sharing you new Life ambitions with us and I hope majority of people that read this will understand it takes a big person to write a post like this.  Just remember "we can do a lot more than I"....make it a good Life Little Brother, as I am here for you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Larry,
You are doing the MAN thing with honor! I know how important the Love of your Life can be and I too was foolish. If we could only do things over!!???!!!. With GOD and your LOVE, all thing will transpire into making your life one that you will never regret.
Keep in touch and enjoy your happiness.

God bless
Donny

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

hankthecrank

Larry. You just proved you are a man. It takes a real man to admit and fix things that need fixing. The other posts are right. You have nothing to prove on a bike. We are all richer for knowing you. Good luck and know that we are praying for you.   Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart