Cancelled Races

Started by tlanders, April 09, 2002, 05:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I just experienced the frustration of spending time, energy and money to go to Hallett, OK for a National AHRMA MX race and have it cancelled the morning of the race. This happened to me last fall at Casey for an AHRMA Cross Country race. At Hallett there were guys there from California to Georgia. I think AHRMA should award some level of points to riders who show up at races and then they are cancelled. Guys who travel 2000 miles and spend $?? to go race need to receive something for their time, effort and money. They go to have fun racing, but if denied that, at least give them a few points so they don't go away with nothing. I would like to suggest that everyone who registers and shows up to race that is then cancelled because of any reason should be awarded a 7th place or 8 points or an 8th place and 7 points, or some other place with the appropriate points. I think the place should be small, typical of what a last place person would get but no smaller than 10th place with 5 points.

What do you guys think? Are there any other sports where the participants are awarded a finish or points if the event is cancelled for reasons beyond their control? AHRMA has an official Rule Change procedure, but I don't want to send anything to them officially until I get a "feel from the street".

Thanks in advance for your input, Teddy

gooey

AHRMA has to do things differently than other venues. Mostly because in order to participate, one must travel a long ways in most cases. AHRMA is growing which is good, but they dont seem to be recognizing their growing pains, and it will cost them memberships. They will never know this untl someone tells them.    I failed to renew my mebership for several reasons ... not the least of which is the whole traveling thing. by the time I add up the AHRMA membership, AMA membership, Gate fee, entry fee, ,, I have about 115.00 in one race, one class, two motos,BEFORE I get to the gas, food, pop, race gas/oil. supplies/ broken parts ... and that is the only race realistically driveable as a one day deal from my house. Anywhere else, and you risk the AHRMA gods pulling the plug on the race and making it really inconvienient. I need to plan what little vacation time I have available very efficiently,   Im sure Im not the only one. I wont plan a weekend like that because that is such a prominent issue, my vacation days are simply too precious to waste right now.

rhermes

FROM READING YOUR POST ,IT SEEMS THIS IS SOMEWHAT A COMMON OCCURANCE. WHY WERE THESE RACES CANCELED,TRACK FLOODED,LIGHTNING STORMS,TORNADO WARNING,OR WHAT.I CANNOT IMAGINE TRAVLING TO A EVENT AND NOT GETTING TO RACE.

Larry Perkins

AHRMA traditionally has about one rainout a season and several others where it was bad but the show was able to go on.  I don't know about the Oklahoma race but the Casey Illinois one last year by race day had the cross country course split in two by a creek out of its banks and one  to six feet of water on the lower parts of the course.  a race could have been put on if a small and a little lame course had been laid out on the high ground.  In my book if you travelled a ways or need the race a lame and short course would be better than none.  I don't know of any racing organization that gives points on cancellation.  A problem with doing that is the guy that pre-entered and did not show would also get points because he also paid entry.  Making all efforts for some kind of race to determine finish position I think would be better.

tlanders

I agree that all efforts should be made to race even if it is two laps, or a shortened course etc. The guy that pre-registers shouldn't get points if he doesn't show up. My criteris would be that he would have to show up and make it through tech inspection whether he pre-registered or not.

tlanders

Larry has answered why it was cancelled at Casey last fall. At Oklahoma last weekend, it was raining and we could have raced. They were scared by the weather channel that morning that said thunder and lightning was coming later on in the day. Well, why not get one moto in and if it starts lightning, cancel the rest of the day? I agree with Larry, ALL effort should be made to run the race even in a modified form.