painting plastic fas tank

Started by Denis Jeffries, August 01, 2011, 11:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denis Jeffries

can you paint a plastic gas tank or would dye be the answer. been told both ways. thanks for the help.
DJ

Mick Milakovic

"Fusion" paint by Krylon works pretty well, but it will peel/wear off over a couple of years, also.

Mick
Mick

Kip Kern

Don't waste your time or money, the fuel will bleed through and it will peel.  100% guarantee;)

Mike Hufnagel

Even using an adhesion promotor and quality paints like House of Color?

74 Yamaha TY 250
75 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
82 KTM 495 (2)
98 KTM 300mxc
00 KTM Duke 2
06 KTM 950 Adv.
08 Suzuki DR70Z
\\\'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Penton Wassels
74 Yamaha TY 250
77 Yamaha TY 175
74 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
77 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Café replica
81 Ktm mx 495
12 Ktm RC8R
04 Honda xr 100
06 KTM 950 Adv.

Kip Kern

Yup, You can paint fiberglas but only if it is POR 15 sealed or it will do the same.  Buy a Clarke tank already colored and all will be OK!

t20sl

Mike:
Problem is not the paint but the molecules in the plastic are large enough that gasoline vapor passes thru most plastics used in fuel tanks.  Eventually the paint is "disolved" and peels or bubbles.  PUCH had the answer.  Nylon fuel tank.  Never peels or bubbles.  Gas vapor does not pass thru EVER!!!  Also alcohol gives no problems.  Must be more expensive or harder to work with or everyone would be using it.
Ted

OhioTed

Denis,

What kind of bike are you working on, and what is your intended use for it?  I've been working with a plastic Can-Am tank, just trying to keep stickers on it.  Presently, I am testing the performance of POR15, with which I've sealed the inside of the tank.  I've had fuel in the tank and cheap paper stickers on the outside for about a week now, waiting to see if they'll bubble.  

If they don't, which would indicated that the POR product has sealed in the fuel molecules, maybe it will work for paint, too.  Guys like KK certainly have lots more experience with this sort of thing, but I figure I've got nothing to lose by trying.

Note that companies such as DC Plastics are offering replacement tanks.  Also, this Can-Am site offers details instructions on how to paint a plastic tank, but notably makes no mention of using it for other than a dry display:  http://www.classiccanam.com/canam35.htm