"Dual Sport" helmet evals/suggestions

Started by Mark P, October 03, 2011, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark P

Ireally like wearing my Shoei MX helmet for off-road riding and also for "dual sport" rides out here on the gravel and dirt roads in the Hill Country. I like the visor and wearing goggles. However, I realized how dangerous I was being one day when I discovered my side vision was not as good as my basic HJC full coverage street helmet. The Shoei was not as open on the sides plus the sides of the goggles blocked some of the side vision. I realized that when I turned my head to check my rear sides that I could not comfortably see that area with the Shoei wearing my goggles. I stopped wearing the off-road helmet and gogles when I'm riding on public roads. I worry that eventually I would pull out into a car or another rider. I've been considering one of the many "dual sport" helmets on the market that offer the visor and a more open front. I tried on one model and it simply did not fit my head well. It was the AFX 39. I haven't tried the Shoei Hornet yet. Just ask if anyone wears the DS helmets and have similiar concerns over their peripheral vison wearing goggles and street riding. Thanx!

Dennis Jones

I have been using an Aria XD for several years now and like it a lot. All of the internal pads can be purchased in different sizes to make a custom fit. If you choose to you can also wear goggles with it but I almost never do.

I have the biker style glasses in several shades including clear. If it gets to dusty or cool I just close the shield. Mine is starting to get dog eared so I will most likely replace it with the XD3.http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=57#/helmets/moto/xd3/solid/white

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

Doggone Dennis. You must make better money than I do. They look nice but pricey. Some day I swear I'll break down and spring for an Arai, though.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis Jones

Lew, luckily the misses makes better money than I do and she doesn't want me to bust my melon [8D]

Actually by shopping around on the net you can get them for a LOT less the the suggested retail. Ebay and ADV Rider are good places to look.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

wfopete

Mark I bought a Shoei Hornet last this year and it is a good lid. My D/S ride is a KLR650. The Shoei has great peripheral vision, fit and  pretty good on cutting wind noise once the face shield is down. I can't comment on use with goggles as I don't use them with the Shoei. The visor doesn't give problems at higher speeds eithier. First helmet where I could actually feel the vents work on a hot day.
I thought about the Aria XD but I kept hearing love/hate reviews on fitment issues plus the price was like $500+

See if you can try a Hornet at a dealership or try a friends, I think you will be impressed.  Unfortunately they quit making them in the KTM color.    :(

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mike Hufnagel

Down at Barber I picked up one hell of a deal on an Arai XD. There was a booth/trailer at the manufacturers midway that sold nothing but Arai helmets. He had several different sized "demo" models (all were silver) sitting on a table outside his trailer for sale. They were in perfect shape (not a scratch) and the one I got was only 6 months old. He had all the parts in his booth to make it a perfect fit for me. XXL  Cost?  The one I got was the most $$$ at $215!!!!!  I wish I had enough cash to buy a couple more!!!

74 Yamaha TY 250
84 Yam IT200
75 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
82 KTM 495 (2)
98 KTM 300mxc
04 KTM 125 SX
00 KTM Duke 2/rd. racer
06 KTM 950 Adv.
08 Suzuki DR70Z
\\\'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Penton Wassels
74 Yamaha TY 250
77 Yamaha TY 175
74 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
77 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Café replica
81 Ktm mx 495
12 Ktm RC8R
04 Honda xr 100
06 KTM 950 Adv.

Dennis Jones

Fantastic Price! Did you happen to get a contact for the Guy?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mark P

Thanks everyone for insights. Right now, I'm sitting here with another DS helmet called the Fly "Trekker" and have been wearing it around in the house to make certain its a keeper. The large size seems have a good solid fit on my fat head with no pressure points. Its "DOT" rated and appears to be well made for a lower end helmet. I don't think its quite as nice as my Shoei but I like the visor and the shield on it, which has several opening "clicks" that let's air in but still covers the glasses. The visor is not as long as an MX visor and has some vents on it to let the wind through. I haven't road tested it. I paid $116.00 for it. A buddy stopped at Georgetown(just north of Austin) and they had a rack of these on sale for $99.00. I suspect Ill keep this one and complement it down the road with the  Shoei/Arai. I'll post my observations on the visor and shield after a good DS ride. Thanx again for help.