Little Penton Project

Started by Mike Berrington, August 01, 2011, 04:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

I finished this project just before VMD, and it did sit in the POG tent for a while on Saturday after John had a chance to sign it.   If you did not get a chance to see it, here are some photos of it beside its big brother.  

Interesting comments overheard while I rode it around, like, "I did not know Penton ever made that", "never saw one of those before",  "looks just like a Yamaha motor with KTM on it"

If the pictures do not work you can go to my website
http://moosemotorsports.shutterfly.com/1231

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
73 Jackpiner, 77 GS6 175
07 KTM 200w,  09 KTM 300w,  
74 TY250(2),  GT80's(3), 80 CR125, 81 YZ250, 88 YZ250
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Dennis Jones

I saw your bike Mike and it is very cool. Fill us in on the details of your bike. I asked around and nobody I ask new much about it.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

wfopete

Looks like a 70's Yamaha GT80 motor in a Honda SL70 frame?

Maybe? Probably not even close.  

JP signed off on it, it's good with me.

Maybe the bike that J. Penton never built.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mike Berrington

Sorry the pictures will not post,  I read every thread I could find,  and none of the directions for attaching photos worked for me. (I use shutterfly) I hope you all can at least link over to see the bike.

I have WAY to much time in this thing :)  I bought this GT80 from Paul Danik at the York swap meet several years ago.  I started the project last winter. Pete you were very close, it is mostly 1974 Yamaha GT 80.  

I hand hammered and formed the stock GT80 tank and then used some steel based epoxy body filler to add the accent lines.  I used aluminum sheet to form the left side panel/number plate, and the front and right side number plates. I had to weld tabs on the frame for mounting.

I bought aluminum fenders at VMD the last couple of years and polished them.  My son hand cut the front fender brace out of an anodized sheet I had laying my scrap bin.  I used the same pattern for the tail light rubber that was given to me for my original 1973 Jackpiner. The tail light is a clearance light.

The front head light is a Yamaha IT175 light using GT80 mounts, also found at VMD.  We ground and polished the "yamaha" out of the lens cover.

I ground the "Yamaha" off the engine cases, then powder coated them. I made a KTM stencil and sand blasted the logo into the cases.  I made a seat foam extension to make the back of the stock seat round to better match the Penton,  had a cover made, then stenciled Penton logo on the back.  (thanks Randy Kirkabride). I also added a front lip/stone guard to the skid plate.

I formed an exhaust pipe extension to go around the shock and fabricated the exhaust tip to match the big Pentons. The heat shield is the original shield from my Jackpiner restoration.

Topped it off with a genuine Penton gas cap. Everything on the bike was painted, polished, or powder coated.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
73 Jackpiner, 77 GS6 175
07 KTM 200w,  09 KTM 300w,  
74 TY250(2),  GT80's(3), 80 CR125, 81 YZ250, 88 YZ250
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

tomale

Wow, what a nice project...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

brian kirby

That is a really cool bike. Too bad Penton didnt have something like that for sale back in the day.

Brian
Brian