The classic CMF fuel tank returns?

Started by OhioTed, September 30, 2011, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

For many of us, the classic, CMF enduro fuel tank typifies the ultimate image of Penton motorcycles.

But no matter your Penton fuel reservoir of choice, be it Steel Tanker, MC5, etc, the "toaster tanks" represented a special look, unique to John Penton's creations.  Or, were they?

Several years ago at the Wauseon AMCA meet, I spotted a 70's-era Rupp minicycle, produced by Mickey Rupp back then, over in Mansfield, Ohio.  Something about that Rupp looked strangely familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  I hung around the thing for quite some time before it finally dawned on me - it wore a CMF-shaped fuel tank, except in metal, and in miniature.

I inquired with one of our learned POG associates (I think it was Pres. Danik) about the connection, who suggested the tanks were simply produced by the same supplier.  Ok, I can go along with that.  After all, both machines were produced about the same time, and if one Ohio motorcycle producer could track down such a source, so could another, right?  

Yeah, but check this out.

Ok, stop laughing at look more closely at the fuel tank.  And, keep in mind this thing is brand new.  It's a funky, freaky, modern moped, with some classic styling elements, called the "Derringer Cycle".  

I don't know about you, but I see at least echos of JP's classic CMF tank.  How 'bout it?