Ormstown Vintage Festival

Started by Gordon Brennan, September 15, 2011, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Here's a picture of my Penton at the Ormstown Vintage Festival. (8th bike down on the page) Two days of Trials with Mick Andrews conducting a Trials school on Friday.
Mike Murphy was also there. We were the only Pentons at the show. Mike came in 2nd in the Hare Scrambles and I came in 3rd both days of the Trials.
There were only 9 Americans there. I don't know why. It's a great trip with two days of Trials, a Cross Country race and a Grass Track MX race, with a couple small table tops and jumps.

http://www.offroadmotorcycles.ca/journal/2011/8/29/trials-at-the-ormstown-vintage-off-road-festival.html

Mark P

Gordon Brennan

tooclose racing

I really want to make it to this show/festival/race and hopefully next year I can pull it off.  The hardware looks fantastic.  And this isn't that bad a drive for me from upstate NY.

I see that Mr. Mike Murphy showed and took 2nd overall in 1976+ expert hare scrambles.  Hey Mike - give us the blow by blow.   And you can start by telling us who opened up a can of whup-ass on ya, youngster...:D

Was Speedy there, Gordan?

And thanks for the link to offroadmotorcycles.ca - I finally have a dirt bike link to their off-road racing scene.

tooclose racing

Well, well, well...hats off to Mr. Murphy for taking the Canadian/US racing relationship to a new level.  Check on this feature on Rokons and Ormstown and  - of course - Mr. Mike himself:

http://www.offroadmotorcycles.ca/journal/2011/9/3/offroadmotorcyclescas-unusual-vmx-project-bike.html

Way to go, Mike.

Gordon Brennan

Yes, Speedy was there. I had him sign my helmet. He is still very fast on his Sachs.

MikeMurphy

Thanks Bob,
I had a young gun,a Brian Kirby type,just put it to
me. I just didn't have anything for him. Now let me
tell you about Mick Andrews. The guy started in row
2 behind me in the vintage class. He rode a old BSA
with 3 inches of rear travel and 6 in the front.
He caught me and passed me like I was tied to a tree.
He broke down,walked back to the pits,got another old
BSA, then went back out beating up on everybody.
He's 67 years old and he's living his life the way
he should. Good for him.

Michael Murphy
1976 250 MC-5
Many Rokons
[email protected]
Michael Murphy
Preston Petty Products
1978 400 MC-5
[email protected]

Lew Mayer

Mike, guys, like Mick, are just on another whole level, aren't they?
I took his trials school twice. Helluva rider and a good guy,too. He enjoys life, for sure.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tooclose racing

Oh geez - that would be the "retired" Speedy in one of the above photos, eh?  

Is that the "Young Gun" in the second photo on the Penton or someone else we know?

Gordon Brennan

Just found this one from Ormstown, on the web. The two guys I went to see. This is after the MX race on Sunday.

MX Track on Monday after Irene.

Trials Section on Monday after Irene.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Lew Mayer

Mike, guys, like Mick, are just on another whole level, aren't they?
I took his trials school twice. Helluva rider and a good guy,too. He enjoys life, for sure.

Lew Mayer

Ok,guys and girls.
I see the ""D:\My pictures\Julian,s 1.HS..WMV" retired" quote and here the explanation.
Yes,the last years Combs RR was when I told you that I will retire....from International and heavy competition,but would do little events and trail rides to stay in shape.A week before the ORMSTOWN vintage weekend,my nephew Julian came over from Germany to visit me.He is a mountain bike racer(and trainer) and had once a road motorcycle.When I mensioned to him,we would go to Ormstown,he fell in love with the idea to try one of my 250 SACHS in the HS.(he had never done that before in his live).So,I said yes and off we went.
After a few laps on the campground,he got familiar with the clutch engagement(so we thought).I wanted to ride behind him and keep an eye on him in case he would get himselfe in trouble.
But they started the Expert first and the Amateurs second.I gave him a few more tips how to approach the terrain,rocks,creek crossings....and off we go.After the first lap I waited for him at the start and finish line,hoping he would be ok.I had just killed my engine and expected to wait several minutes,when he allready came out of the bushes.By the time I had my engine running he was out off sight,and it took me wile to catch up to him.From here we went together for the rest of the event.I was amazed about his speed on a bike he had never ridden before,a type of sport he had never done before.He had a Phantastic helmet camera mounted and filmed the entyre FIRST lap,some 18 minutes.
Below the film link.
And now the biggest surprise:He came 3. in the Amateur class and got a nice trophy out of former Trial World Champion,Mik Andrews hands.
A complete picture album of the entire weekend you will find if you click on ORMSTOWN in my Picasaweb Series.
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy

Film link:"D:\My pictures\Julian,s 1.HS..WMV" ( or find it in the Pic.album Ormstown.)

Cheers.