Glen Helen

Started by Lloyd Boland, November 04, 2011, 10:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

This weekend appears to be a big weekend at Glen Helen.  On Saturday our club, ARX, is having a race along with "Marty Tripes 100cc Works Revenge" races.  On Sunday, AHRMA & CalVMX are putting on a race.  The "Vet World Championship" is also running on the National track on Saturday and Sunday.  They usually have a fair turnout of "Old" (in their 30's and 40's) pros.
Looks like a good weekend of racing and spectating.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Lloyd

socalmx

With the rain today, it will be slip-sliding-away. Make sure to put the duct tape on the underside of your fenders :D

Lloyd Boland

Great idea.  I take a couple of different sized wooden spatulas and a couple of other devices to scrape the mud off, but the duct tape on the fenders sounds like a great idea.  I wonder if taping the inside of the shoulder of the Akron rims would work? Might have to think about this for awhile.  At different times in the past I have tried spraying "Off" and other oven cleaners, etc. with only marginal success.  Anyone have tips for bike prep for muddy event?

454MRW

There are some good products made to spray on the plastic and areas on the bike like between the engine and skid plate to keep mud from sticking, but any good spray silicone followed by a rub down to help fill in the pores on the fenders, etc. will help shed mud and make clean up easier. Just avoid the seat and areas that might cause problems like grips, Etc. I read something on another site about Rain-X spray that was claimed to work even better than silicone spray after being rubbed into the plastic parts. It literally shed the mud like water. Mike
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1020854

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

socalmx

For the rims, we need the trick foam inserts that the Jones' use to run on their YZs. I wonder if anyone every tried to reproduce them?

Steve Minor

Lloyd
Back in "The Day", we sprayed inside fenders, rims and motors with Pam cooking spray....mud usually wouldn't stick and any that did stick would hose right off....worked great...!

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

OUCWBOY

Back in my day, thee was NO PAM!!!!! LOL

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Big Mac

RE wheel foam...When I was running the winter series in SW Washington several years back I used 5/8" foam insulation backer rod like they sell in rolls at Home Depot and elsewhere in my Akronts to reduce the mud load in a big way.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_127194-1410-C23H_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3010567&UserSearch=5%2F8+backer+rod&Ntt=5%2F8+backer+rod&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

I cut lengths that would fit into the mud grooves with a bit of resistance when stuffed in there end-to-end. Every once in a while one would pop out and get lost but they mostly stayed in place pretty well. Some mud would build in the wheel center around the spokes but no where near the volume normally scraped out after each mud race.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR