Semi-restore either 100 or 125 penton?

Started by pklinck, December 04, 2011, 03:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pklinck

I have recently painted a 2/73' cmf 100/125 frame and it's other related parts.  I recently obtained a parts 1973 100cc which has a standard bore, original air box/cover, cylinder, and carb.  In other words, all the 100cc parts.  I also have the 125cc kit parts, i.e. top end, green tank and airbox, etc.  I plan on selling this semi-restored model.  This is not the 73 cmf high breather 125 I recently restored for myself.  QUESTION: Since there were so many 125s sold on the market between 1972 and 1975, would it be best to put the 100cc kit together?  The red tank is restoration painted while the green tank is only it's original paint.  I also have the original aluminum fenders. This bike should be affordable since only the frame and related metal parts were sand blasted and re-painted, motor-rebuilt and new rear shocks purchased.   Any suggestions on favoring 100 or 125 setup? Let me know.

peter klinck
peter klinck

gooddirt

pklinck

Gooddirt",

A very nice 100cc penton.  I suspect it is 1974?  

For what reason would I do the 100 kit vs. 125 kit?  For sure though my red tank is already beautiful while the green one is only original...????  The cylinder sleeve has been nicely re-done.

Would it be easier to sell the 100cc and why?

Aside from Hodaka Paul, I am the only member from Vermont and would like to generate interest in the area and start to sell once in a while a penton and help with repairs.

Let me know,
cheers

peter klinck
peter klinck

Kurt Adams

Peter,

I sent you and E-mail asking some questions, but I see you are on the POG site.  After reading your posts and your intent with the bike (selling after complete) I'd say go 125.  More interest in those it seems.  Then, do the 100 and keep it.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Around here (MI) we are dominated by 175s and 125s.  I don't see a lot of 100s and they don't generate as much interest as the other two.

If I had a 175 I could probably sell it right now.  Maybe because Michigan is the home to the Jackpine??  [:p]

'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'73 Berkshire 100

pklinck

Rob,

Thanks for your input on chosing what top end to install, whether 100 or 125.  I'll call you sometime soon.

peter klinck
peter klinck

gooddirt

I found 12 125's over a period of time and only 3 100's .If the top-end is rare I would think a whole bike is on the rare side . One part that is hard to come by; and would complete the 100, and make it worth more would be the Mag side cover with a 100cc ID tag on it for the year of frame.

gooddirt

Mickey's 100 has beaten any 125 (even honda's) that comes near[}:)]

gooddirt

AHhhh... but then again whats worth more a true greenie or a mocked up 100 on a greenie base bike?[:0] (I'am alot of help)[B)]