NOS Sachs crank assembly and rods

Started by Paul Danik, December 15, 2011, 09:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Hi,

I found a NOS Sachs "B" crank assembly for the 100- 125 cc engine in a drawer that hasn't seen daylight for quite awhile. There is no needle bearing in the top of the rod, other than that it is complete,  $ 350.00.

Also found both a NOS aluminum rod and NOS steel rod for the Sachs 100 -125 engine, no bottom pin for either and no top end needle bearing for the steel rod, $ 150.00 ea. I don't even know if there is a demand for the aluminum rod, but maybe one of you engine builders can enlighten me.

Prices do not include shipping. I would rather sell these items here than put this on eBay.  If my prices are to low let me know :D

[email protected]  

Thanks
Paul

Kip Kern

I prefer the aluminum rod over the steel on the early 5A.  Bronze bush on top never wore out.Happy Holidays

Paul Danik

Thanks Kip, what you said reminded me that if anyone is looking to build a 152cc engine using the Yamaha piston, they will need to use the aluminum rod as the top end bushing needs reamed to fit the Yamaha wristpin. I am not sure if I have any of those early 152cc kit pistons left but maybe Al does.

If anyone can help me to identify another Sachs rod I would appreciate it.  It is aluminum, shorter than the 100 - 125 cc rods, and has this number cast into it  0217101000R   F & S   It is NOS and maybe someone has a use for it, possibly for the 50cc or 75cc engine.

Thanks,
Paul

SouthRider

Paul,

I have a 5A engine that I am looking to eventually build into a 152. I have not torn it down to see what rod it has in it.

If you have a piston and want to sell me the rod & piston together it would make a lot of sense to me to get it now just to be safe.

You can shoot me an email at [email protected] if you like.

Thanx,

Clark

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Paul Danik

Clark,

There are several ways to make a 152cc Sachs engine, I think the easiest way is for you to use the Wiseco piston that was designed for that purpose. If I am not mistaken the Wiseco piston will have a wrist pin that fits the needle bearing on the steel connecting rod, and you will not need to machine the base of the cylinder as you would if you use the Yamaha piston, as the wrist pin on the Yamaha piston is located higher on the piston which means you need to lower the cylinder to attain the proper deck height.  The Yamaha wrist pin is also larger in diameter, that is why the aluminum rod with the brass bushing was used as the bushing can be reamed to the proper size.

That being said, I now have a Wiseco 152 piston in my hand but the wrist pin looks to be larger than the Sachs wrist pin...The price on the Wiseco box is $ 23.95  :)  Maybe the aluminum rod is needed for the Wiseco as well, .......

I am sure there are a number of folks reading this that can give you more and better info than I can.  I just don't want to see you spend money that you don't need to.

While looking for the 152cc piston I came across several liners, 125cc and 100cc, anyone needing any of this stuff let me know.  I am going to list the pistons that I found later, I always put this stuff in one cabinet when it comes along and it is time to put some of it to use if it is needed.

Thanks,
Paul

G Ellis

Paul I would be interested in any 100cc stuff. Give me a call Gary

gooddirt

The shorter aluminum rod is for the 1967 sachs 80s /gs 73cc motor. I'am not sure if it will fit the 50cc.

Paul Danik

Clark, you have mail.

Gary, can you send me your number, [email protected]

Gooddirt,  Thanks for the info.

Paul

SouthRider

Paul - it was great talking with you. I appreciate your input.

Fellow poggers - I am going to hold off on my project until I have time to get my motor apart to see what I need.

Paul's rod kits are still up for grabs.

Clark

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Paul Danik

Clark,

The idea behind your project is very special, thanks for sharing it. I also enjoyed hearing your story about the 2 day qualifier that took place in Picayune, Miss many years ago. I don't remember what caused the area to be so underwater at the time, but it sure was one of the wettest events that I can remember.

Paul

OUCWBOY

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Clark,

There are several ways to make a 152cc Sachs engine, I think the easiest way is for you to use the Wiseco piston that was designed for that purpose. If I am not mistaken the Wiseco piston will have a wrist pin that fits the needle bearing on the steel connecting rod, and you will not need to machine the base of the cylinder as you would if you use the Yamaha piston, as the wrist pin on the Yamaha piston is located higher on the piston which means you need to lower the cylinder to attain the proper deck height.  The Yamaha wrist pin is also larger in diameter, that is why the aluminum rod with the brass bushing was used as the bushing can be reamed to the proper size.
Thanks,
Paul
Back in 1969, Mike Lewis wanted to turn my 6 day into a 152. I took the bike to him for the "trick" work. Now that was a long time ago, and can't remember all the details. However, Mike and Leroy actually did all the work. I know they used the Yamaha 305cc piston and remember something about lowering the cylinder for the deck height, but do not recall them changing the rod, as I recall, later when I put in a new piston, it still had the steel rod and not the aluminum rod. Not sure if Mike would remember or not, but I know they had the bike for almost a month (which was OK as I was in a cast for 8 weeks and couldn't ride anyway). What I remember for sure is Mike only charge me about $60.00 total for the parts and labor. For those of you that don't know Mike Lewis, he is one of the most wonderful people in the world.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Lew Mayer

A friend of mine has an steeltank Jackpiner. If I recall correctly, it had the aluminum rod. Yes, the base of the cylinder was milled to make the Yamaha piston work. When I took it apart, the cylinder skirt had a crack in it, so I got another cylinder and used a Wiseco 152 piston. You didn't have to mill the cylinder then. It was just luck I found the cracked skirt before it let go. That would've been ugly. The Wiseco pistons do have an uneven expansion rate, though. I've had them seize due to points of high expansion on the pistons. I just sanded those high spots and put them back in.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

OUCWBOY

Back in 69 the only option was the Yamaha 305 piston. Wiseco didn't make that piston then. Not sure when they started, but not available in 69. If they were, it sure would have been much more simple.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

t20sl

John P. sent a 152 down to my Dad's shop for me to use at 1971 Little Burr.  If I remember correctly just before that weekend John asked if he could have the engine back for one of his riders.  So Sat before Burr we switched my old 125 back into frame and brought the 152 engine down to the Burr.  
Later I got the engine back.  I remember the Yamaha Big Bear 305 pistons had to have the piton ring locating pins moved before you could use them.  They were a "bear" to remove, then we would used a drill bit shank for new ones and drill undersize and re-locate and press in.
Anyone remember relocating rings stops????.

Ted Atkinson

OUCWBOY

Ted, Now that you mention it, I kinda remember having to do that but couldn't say for sure. I know we had to move the pins on the 1251/B6 GS Pro on the Monark we were running in 72/73 because we couldn't get a GS PRO piston and had to modify the regular Sachs piston because of the porting difference.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR