Interesting old new products...

Started by JCHubbard, January 21, 2012, 11:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCHubbard

http://www.fullboretires.com/mx-crosscountry.html

Anybody tried these yet?...I think I might pull the trigger on a set of these.

http://www.btosports.com/p/AXO-NORSTAR-TRANS-AM-BOOTS

The boots are on ebay for 300.00 and free shipping.
JC Hubbard

checkcrew

John,

when you get time give us a ride report on those FullBore tires,

thanks for the link,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Kip Kern

Not sure about the Full Bore brand but I did see that Pirelli is making vintage tires in SAE sizes VS metric and a vintage tread pattern that resembles an old Metzeler.[:p]  Saw them in VMX magazine last issue.

Dale Fisher

The Pirelli are designated Garacross MT16.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Pirelli-MT16Garacross.htm

Dale Fisher
POG Memberships
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
73 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Dwight Rudder

The Pirelli Garacross MT16 is a similar pattern to those Pirelli used back in the early 70s but with improved carcass design and rubber compounds they work as good as any modern tire. Infact I prefer the rear on all my bikes that will pull them. They come in 2 rear 18" sizes.  The smallest is now called a 110/100X18 (formerly called 400X18), but it is a larger sized tire similar to the Motocross Enduro Metzeler in the 450X18 size. So the bike needs to be a strong 175cc or bigger bike. The larger sized tire is a 120/100X18 (formerly called 450X18) but is sized more like the Metzeler Multicross 450X18 which is a open class sized tire.  The 90/90X21 front works great on any sized bike and I use on some of my modern bikes as well as ALL of my vintage bikes.

Gavin Housh

Thanks Dwight for the imput on the Pirelli MT16 tire. I've been thinking about trying a rear on my KDX 220 but don't usually run a 110/100x18. It seems now that the modern four stroke is the norm tire manufactures have gone away from the smaller 100/100x18. I can't find them anywhere regardless of tire brand. Anyone know why the VMX article leeds you to believe that Pirelli is making a 400x18 and nobody in the states is selling them. I wouldn't think about buying from Australia, the U.S. dollar is so week that after converting you would pay 60 USD to ship them here. I shipped a Koni shock over to Ikon and the return shipping was 60 dollars. I only paid 30 to get it over there. What's a guy to do?

hankthecrank

The Cheng Shin list has a 300x18 rear and a 350x18 rear listed under the C755 Hard Terrain motocross tires. I don't know anything about them. Can anyone give a report on these tires? I didn't even look at prices.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Kip Kern

Hank, they are great if you can find them, CST changed them recently and you can't find the old SAE 755 style anymore.

Gavin Housh

Cheng Shen tires are good for garage queen bikes and museum pieces. I don't see anyone racing on those tires. When we grew up in the 70's we called them chicken **** or chunk of ****. Hahaha... They chuncked so fast that you had to throw them away after one day. They could have changed since then but look at where they're made and then decide if you still would buy them. The bridgestone M404 is what I'm running. IRC has the Volcanduro in 100/100X18 but I haven't tried it yet. 100/100 is basicly a 4 inch tire with the knobs measuring closer to 4.75 in. More tire than a Penton 125 should have but what choice do you have. I tried the little Maxxis once. I damaged it trying to get it on and then pinch flatted it. I weigh 170 pounds without gear so even if I could get a 3.50 tire I would be to heavy for it. The 400X18 of old sure seemed smaller than the new 100/100X18.

hankthecrank

I am currently running a Michelin on the rear. Its too much tire but I agree, what choice do you have?

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

JCHubbard

Gavin, I kind of agree on that Garage Queen thing too...When I finally decided to take one of the bikes out for a ride/race with the CS sneakers on it quickly reminded me of the old phrase, "you get, what you pay for." Here on the east coast my favorites for modern and/or vintage bikes are the Dunlop 756, Bridgestone M59/204, and Bridgestone 952...in that order...
JC Hubbard

Bill Ryburn

An interesting discussion, particularly involving the 3.50 X 18 Cheng Shen tires.
For those that know me, you know my old 125 Penton is anything but a garage queen, and while I am  old and slow, I do manage a dozen or so races a year - mostly AHRMA cross country events - and on Cheng Shen tires.
If any of you have any suggestions as to another brand of tire that will fit in the short and narrow rear swing arm of a late '69 Steel Tank Penton, please let me know. I have not found a tire other than the Cheng Seng that will fit the rear without rubbing the swing arm and chain guard.
Thanks,
Bill Ryburn

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by JCHubbard

Gavin, I kind of agree on that Garage Queen thing too...When I finally decided to take one of the bikes out for a ride/race with the CS sneakers on it quickly reminded me of the old phrase, "you get, what you pay for." Here on the east coast my favorites for modern and/or vintage bikes are the Dunlop 756, Bridgestone M59/204, and Bridgestone 952...in that order...

Oops...I meant Dunlop 952;)
JC Hubbard