400 cylinder removal

Started by [email protected], May 13, 2012, 04:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Is it true to remove the jug from a 400 that you will have to pull the motor? Please help before I dive into this. Thanks, Stork

brian kirby

Others may have done it, but I've tried on both a '74.5 and a '77 MC5 and I was not able to get the top end off of either without taking the engine out. Since the swing arm pivot does not go through the cases its easier than some bikes if thats any consolation.

Brian
Brian

chicagojerry

its best to take the engine out.  but it can be done at least on the 74ish vintage frames. it requires screwing the cylinder studs out of the engine cases. that causes additional pains in the neck putting everything back together. since you already have the pipe and carb off, its not that much more work to take the motor out completely and then the motor is much easier to work on.  remember to remove that right rear motor mount spacer thing and then the motor will come right out from the right side. if you decide to go that route feel free to either call my cell 440 213 5146 or email me [email protected] if you run into any questions.  by the way. what year is your 400?    chi jer

brian kirby

In my opinion its a bad idea to remove those studs from the magnesium cases unless you absolutely have no other choice, too easy to damage the cases. Its much better in the long run to just take the whole engine as Jerry described.

Brian
Brian

[email protected]

Thanks to all for your help.i,m sure more to follow. Jerry, it,s a 74, do you remember me, I,m the BBQ rib guy at Mid Ohio.  Thanks again

chicagojerry

oh yes. i remember you (and the ribs);)
chi jer