Dual sport education?

Started by johnacapp, July 05, 2012, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

Calling all dual sport riders...

I just rode my first dual sport event, and found that I have a lot to learn. I am hoping for some good advice on two subjects.

First roll charts, where can I get a good roll chart holder?

Second can anyone recommend a good motorcycle GPS that will hold up off road?

Thanks in advance
John
John Capp

Tom Murphy

http://shop.enduroeng.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=14-052

Enduro Engineering has a nice route sheet holder. I can't reco a gps for you, no experience using one. Tom
Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

johnacapp

Thanks Tom,
The only one I was coming up with was a Moose "trophy" and when I went
On other sites a lot of people where not happy with it, not very water resistant and rolls jammed. This one looks much better...

As for the GPS at the end of the dual sport I was in the middle of "no where" fortunately a rider came after us with GPS and coordinates to get us all back to the start point. Didn't get to see or ask what model. I know trail tech makes a speedometer and GPS combination, and Garmin has a model called a Zumo 550? I'm always looking for the best item out there? I am also told that GPS are big with adventure riders and popular with dual sport rider in the west? That's why I was hoping for more insight from our group on what GPS unit's people use and like etc.

Thanks again on the roll chart information.  
John Capp

Mark P

John
I'm a map man myself however direct you to "Two Wheeled Texans", http://www.twtex.com/.  There are some GPS using fools on that site that stay on top of the latest tech, mounts, etc. I'll try and do some searches on it also and post them here.

There's a lot DS/adventure riders on it.

Regards
Mark

johnacapp

One more roll chart question:
Top load or side load, which ones best?
John Capp

Kip Kern

I use a side load and have had no problems in 30 years

johnacapp

Thanks Kip,
By any chance could you share the brand name?
John Capp

Kip Kern

Not sure of the brand, picked it up at one of the races years ago.

wfopete

GPS units are only as good as thier users.  Whatever you get there is a learning curve that comes with useage.  I perfer the Garmin 60CSX for D/S use.  Why? They are not to complicated, they are tough and inexpensive (relitively). My buddies had them so they helped speed up the learning process. The 60CSX's screen is a little on the small side but so is the price.  

Good Luck.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good