Lectron help needed

Started by Mike Berrington, July 15, 2012, 08:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

Trying to re-set the float level on the Lectron carb on my 77 GS6.  The float bowl is the new style opaque bowl and 1 piece float.  

Question is where should the fuel level be on the front side of the carb?  Also how low can the fuel level be on the rear of the float bowl before it causes fuel flow issues. The carb sits at almost 27 degrees so there is significant fuel level differences front to back

Gary Ellis, or anyone can you help?  

Below is a link to some photos of the setup rig and fuel level, along with pics of the family pentons/ktms (I can not seem to get pictures to post on the site...)

http://moosemotorsports.shutterfly.com/1231

Getting ready for VMD...

THANKS

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
73 Jackpiner, 77 GS6 175
07 KTM 200w,  09 KTM 300w,  
74 TY250(2),  GT80's(3), 80 CR125, 81 YZ250, 88 YZ250
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Jeff D

Contact Helmut Clasen.  He is a Lectron wizard!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

G Ellis

Mike looks like it is adjusted correctly. Good luck. I would run it like that, its about like mine. If you want call me at Ohio. Later Gary

Mike Berrington

Some success, with the carb and reducing the bog/flooding.

First thanks Jeff D and Gary.

I spoke to Helmut "speedy" Clausing, who is a really nice guy, and very interesting to talk to about most anything, including Lectron carbs.

He had a "separation" gasket that was developed to stop flooding on lectron carbs on road race bikes, this condition usually happened under heavy braking like at Daytona.  He described this gasket to me and I made one and installed on the 175 GS6  before I left for Mid Ohio.  

I had no issues like last year,  and raced the HS and MX. I lowered the float level as in the picture on the link above.   I also made sure to to turn off the petcocks a few seconds (like 30) before I killed the engine and always started the bike with the petcocks off.

I did buy a gasket from Helmut ($7.95) which I had shipped to a relatives house in Lexington OH just in case.  I did not install it since it is a pain to get the carb off the bike, and my home made version seemed to help. This gasket acts like a baffle and reduces the fuel from sloshing forward and flooding the carb/engine.  

He also said we should find a angled rubber boot to go between the cylinder and and carb.  I have not found one but something like what is on a 70's era Honda 4 cylinder .... if the diameters are correct... will let you know when i find one or if someone knows of a boot that will work, please let us know.

Helmut did say,  and Jack Penton confirmed from his own GS6 250, that we should do ourselves a favor and buy a modern Lectron and all of our issues will go away.

Hope this helps.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
73 Jackpiner, 77 GS6 175
07 KTM 200w,  09 KTM 300w,  
74 TY250(2),  GT80's(3), 80 CR125, 81 YZ250, 88 YZ250
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.