Motoplat side cover

Started by fastwillie8568, October 25, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastwillie8568

Removed right side cover and a lot of water came out of it, getting ready to install PVL can you drill a hole in the botton to releave
the water or is there ther any way to water proof it the motoplat is muddy looking and so is the water any idea would be helpful.

Daniel P. McEntee

I used to fret about this back in the day also. After what I thought was sealing and water proofing my ignition, there would always be some water in there after each event and ride. I came to be educated later that you need to vent the ignition cover. Find a proper spot on top, drill and tap for a 1/8 pipe by 1/8' tube compression fitting, and run the plastic tubing up undr the tank some where. The air inside gets hot, and if you happen to hit a water crossing, it cools rapidly and the resulting vacuum can suck water right past the case seam, through the screw holles, past any ignition wire grommet, etc. And once the water is in there, it can't get out. Condensation can accumulate also from heat/cool cycles. Haven't had any issues since I learned that. I also make sure that my airbox has a nice, clean drain hole, so water can find a way out. It pays to not fight the laws of physics.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

SouthRider

Venting is a very good solution - but it also introduces an extra layer of "stuff" on the bike, and a place that can break & allow the entry of even MORE water during a race. We always liked a race bike with as little extra stuff on it as possible.

We simply put an extremely thin layer of silicone seal on the side cover, and lay it aside to dry - forming a silicone "gasket" to keep water out.

Make sure you let it dry first - as the silicone leaches out an ammonia like gas that will corrode aluminum if you just slap the cover on there. Today there are numerous other products that work better - I like the Suzuki engine sealant that never hardens - still let it dry first.

After riding & washing the bike - IMMEDIATELY pull the side cover off, spray a little WD40 around the motoplat, and let everything dry out good before you reinstall the sidecover. You will only have to renew the sealant on the cover a few times a year depending on use.

The little bit of moisture that accumulates in a properly sealed non-vented case won't hurt a thing if you pop the cover off after every ride.

Pulling the sidecover eventually becomes second nature after a ride just like cleaning the air filter & brakes.

Just a thought...............

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax