barn find vintage 250 soon to be for sale

Started by chicagojerry, November 30, 2012, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hi all. a few months back i had a week that i purchased a 175, a 250 and a 400. i got the 250 running and it seemed to run pretty well and i was contemplating selling it with the engine untouched, but of course telling any prospective buyers that i had not looked into the motor. i have decided against that because i just can't in good faith sell a bike that MAY not be up to par and leave it up to the buyer to figure it out. anyway, the fork tubes were pretty badly pitted so i changed those out, flushed them well, new seals, rebuilt the caps. forks ready to go race now. the wheels (akront)had much mung but those are looking good now too. i yanked the motor tonight and i will be cleaning up the frame a little more to allow me to rattlecan paint it. there was some surface rust, nothing major but didn't look as good as it should. the bottem end of the motor seems very good and the magneto area is absolutely pristine. no play in the crank bearings, and the crank area looks good with no evident moisture issues. i am going to have the cylinder bored with a new piston, so i am glad that i decided to look at the motor a little closer.very light clutch pull and when i did ride it the clutch worked well. the carb looks very good and the airbox is like new. it should be a good bike for someone and i hope to have it ready to sell by the end of next week so if anyone is looking for a nice Christmas present with the penton name on it here is your chance.  red mx tank, chrome tip pipe. no lights. good tires (not brand new but i would certainly race it with them) very original bike. it will be in the 2000 range and the only thing that you will need to race it will be your choice of shocks.  more info and pix in a few days as it progresses some more, but i wanted to throw it out there in case anyone was looking for a good penton 250 race worthy bike at a reasonable price. if interested please drop me a line at [email protected] for more info. there's  more good stuff to list about it too that i can let you know about via email.  i hope to sell it quickly to help defray some costs of Christmas and my upcoming mission trip to belize,  chi jer [8D]

chicagojerry

hopefully motor complete today or tomorrow.     just wanted to share the progress pix. a couple of guys have contacted me with some interest

seanguthrie

Why must you tempt me so!!

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

sdm

Good lookin bike .... I wish you were closer :(

chicagojerry

when i pulled the swingarm off on sat to clean it up to paint. i noticed that the bearings were bad. changed those out too before painting. i forgot what a pain it is to change those but at least its done. i should get the cylinder back today or tomorrow and when i finish it up, i'll take some more pix.   chi jer

chicagojerry

here's how it ended up...   runs well. 1 kick starter. sigened by both john and jack. i had to play with the clucth some today but thats fixed now. its spoken for. a beatiful 175 'piner will be posted for sale tomorrow.  
  :D   chi jer

marsattacks

That's really nice Jerry!  No surprise. Maybe if the new owner is going to mx it he will want to find an mx pipe and preserve that enduro pipe for another day.  Those are pretty rare.

Mars Attacks!
72 Jackpiner
72 Jackpiner-in-a-box
74 Harescrambler
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

xracer

hi jerry give me a call about that 175 thats what my daughter is looking for thanks dave when in doubt gas it 734 461 9908