ISDT bikes...

Started by skiracer, December 20, 2012, 06:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I have asked about the decals on the steel tankers at the ISDT, and the conversation has brought up another question......  When the factory is supplying the bikes (in Europe) so you don't have to ship your own bike back and forth, how much of the bike is changed for perosnal taste?  Do you bring your own shocks, grips, etc.?  Thanks, James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Dwight Rudder

Back then in the Steel Tank era there wasn't much personal items to change.  Maybe grips. Shocks were state of the art back then. Girling was about as good as they got.

skiracer

Thanks Dwight!  Jl

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

Back then in the Steel Tank era there wasn't much personal items to change.  Maybe grips. Shocks were state of the art back then. Girling was about as good as they got.

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Paul Danik

James,

A while back Dale Fisher put a post on the message board about an engine that had some unusual markings on it, the engine had been in the Fisher parts room for many years.
http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10467

It turned out that the engine was the one that Jack Penton used at his first ISDT, Spain 1970. When I delivered the engine to Jack he mentioned how very special that engine was to him as his Uncle Ted had built that engine especially for him. I have never asked Jack if they hauled their engines with them when they went to Spain, or did they have them installed at the factory.  I would not be surprised if they took them with them.......

In looking and some photos of the early Steel Tank ISDT machines a few items are apparent.

The one machine had non-folding foot pegs on it.

Chain oiling systems were installed, including a reservoir and a tube running down towards the chain, no O-ring chains...

It looks like steel rear sprockets were installed.

Special covers were installed on the machines that wrapped around the carb and air cleaner area, they were made of a leather like material and they were designed to keep splashed water and mud away from the carb and air cleaner systems. They were held in place with snaps. I remember using them myself and they sure were a bugger to get into place and then snapped...I remember Doug Wilford saying one time how his wife had made those covers, she is an excellent seamstress.  

The usual ISDT prep for that era is also obvious, spare cables, tire pump. lots of rubber bands cut from inner tubes hooked on everywhere...extended axle handles for easier removal, lots of tools tucked away for on the trail repairs.

Personally, I would think that the Steel Tank era Penton USA riders had a lot of customized items on their machine, these guys were innovators from day 1. John's brother Ted was a master machinist and his crew at the Penton R & D building could make anything they needed, I imagine that the factory folks spent a good bit of time looking over these machines:)

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Paul

rob w

skiracer

Thanks Paul!  Wow, that was more information than I expected to receive.  All very interesting.  I like the idea of the carb/air cleaner covers... very trick!  I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.  Regards, James

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

James,

A while back Dale Fisher put a post on the message board about an engine that had some unusual markings on it, the engine had been in the Fisher parts room for many years.
http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10467

It turned out that the engine was the one that Jack Penton used at his first ISDT, Spain 1970. When I delivered the engine to Jack he mentioned how very special that engine was to him as his Uncle Ted had built that engine especially for him. I have never asked Jack if they hauled their engines with them when they went to Spain, or did they have them installed at the factory.  I would not be surprised if they took them with them.......

In looking and some photos of the early Steel Tank ISDT machines a few items are apparent.

The one machine had non-folding foot pegs on it.

Chain oiling systems were installed, including a reservoir and a tube running down towards the chain, no O-ring chains...

It looks like steel rear sprockets were installed.

Special covers were installed on the machines that wrapped around the carb and air cleaner area, they were made of a leather like material and they were designed to keep splashed water and mud away from the carb and air cleaner systems. They were held in place with snaps. I remember using them myself and they sure were a bugger to get into place and then snapped...I remember Doug Wilford saying one time how his wife had made those covers, she is an excellent seamstress.  

The usual ISDT prep for that era is also obvious, spare cables, tire pump. lots of rubber bands cut from inner tubes hooked on everywhere...extended axle handles for easier removal, lots of tools tucked away for on the trail repairs.

Personally, I would think that the Steel Tank era Penton USA riders had a lot of customized items on their machine, these guys were innovators from day 1. John's brother Ted was a master machinist and his crew at the Penton R & D building could make anything they needed, I imagine that the factory folks spent a good bit of time looking over these machines:)

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Paul

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Thanks Rob!  very trick item!  I am sure it worked well.   Merry Christmas, James

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa