Penton ID Assistance Please

Started by tonupchad, January 20, 2013, 02:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonupchad

I've been looking for steel tanker and stumbled upon this.  Can somebody please help me ID.  Frame number is V627.
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

gooddirt

Most likely a 1968 has early rear hub.

tonupchad

Thanks  The cylinder and head and not stock right?

The cylinder is stamped 0613-108-099.
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

OUCWBOY

It appears to be a late model 1968. It could either be a 100cc or a 125cc, depending on the bore of the cylinder, as both had the same stroke. 48mm is std for 100cc and 54mm is std for the 125cc.  The Seat and pipe are modified or from some other machine. The rear hub is a 4 bolt type which was typically found on the 1968 year. The Cylinder and Hear are correct for that year, but as you can see, the carb mounting has been modified as well.  Foot pegs have been modified for Trials use as the original pegs were attached directly below the shifter. You can see where the mounting bolt is missing, as it should run straight through to each side. Another clue that this is a 68 and not a 69 is this frame is NOT a high breather frame that was 1st introduced in 1969.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

1/2 Steel Tanker, 1/2 Wassell trials, a ton of work to get her back to original.

Dale Fisher

See Old Steel tanker in wanted/for sale thread.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3509175613.html

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

1970 Six-Day 125
1971 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's)
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Berkshire 100
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

seanguthrie

Yes, it looks at some point in its life someone tried to mock it up and use it as a wassell or mudlark trials bike.

It has a lot of the same setup as my latest 68 tanker find.  Looks like the same chain guard and air filter setup as what is on mine.

My chain case is a full piece unlike yours which looks like it was cut.
Does anyone know what the original looked like?  Was it a complete piece or did it have the cutout?

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

gooddirt

Kip Kern

Look like MZ, Inked on the inside MZ and date 68

tonupchad

\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

Kip Kern

For sure, on "68" models along with Borrani.  See the shop manual Both were as soft as a baby's head!

tofriedel

It looks like the rear brake arm is tricked out as in runs up and  over the swing arm.  The kick start lever appears to have been modified as well.

I have a sprocket about the same size as the one on this bike, but it came off of a 1970 steel tank model that had been modified for trials.  The foot pegs were mounted much higher.

Tony
Tony