Road Racing Jackpiner

Started by Rob Thatcher, February 02, 2013, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Thatcher

I sold my 1972 Jackpiner to Mark, a roadracer from Portland, OR who needed a 1972 to become the class champion in a vintage class that requires 1972 or earlier.  I guess the bike to beat are modified Honda 160's.  I predict he will kick butt this  year and then they will ban the bike next year.

He has several questions, mainly pertaining to gearing and timing.  Chicago Jerry set the timing at approximately 2 mm BTDC, which should be fine. The bike has the stock gearing of 12/52 and 530 chain.  He wants to know if it will pull 14-48 or 14-50.  I would assume if he is buying new gearing, he would want to go to 520 chain to lighten it up.  It is running a stock airbox with a new Mikuni 30mm.  

He has run and built a lot of cool two stroke road racing motorcycles, but this his first Euro bike and Pentons obviously are not known as roadracers.  Let's help a brother out. Pictures to follow.

Paul Danik

Rob,

Not sure where you found such an awesome Piner in the first place :), but it looks like it is destined for an interesting future.  

Please ask Mark if he would possibly keep us informed of his and his Piners progress, sounds like a nice article for the newsletter....
I can see the headline now above the picture...

Piner coming off the highbank in turn four

You know some Pentons have been big winners at Daytona in the past..

Thanks,
Paul

Josh Coho

I was thinking about doing this with a 400 engine and would look forward to your postings.