Jackpiner GS Pipe Identification

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, January 27, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

Can anyone provide me with some photos of a '72 to '74/'75 Jackpiner GS pipe? I have a pipe here at home that someone ripped the back shroud from, and I want to replace it as close to original as possible. I thought it was a '73 250 pipe, but have since bought another, known for sure complete '73 HS enduro pipe that needed repair and it doesn't match. The pipe in question is about 4" shorter than the 250 pipe with the shroud removed, and over all length is 42" from the outside of the header to the end of the perforated stinger. The header measures 1.780" outside diameter right past the spring brackets, and the I.D. of the header at the manifold end is 1.760". It has two mounting brackets, one on the top/left side like they all have, and one on the bottom, right side near the first welded seam at the fat part of the pipe. I can send pictures to you for ID purposes, just don't know how to post them here. The pipe is in very good condition otherwise, and even has a sheet metal support bulkhead for the shroud at the front of the stinger. I'm going to copy that to help support the shroud on my '73 HS pipe. I can make all the required shroud parts, just need dimensions to go by, and first need to identify the pipe. Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

gooddirt

Some pics of most pipes on this site ; PillonDorino.com   look under Prodotti on the left side of the web page. The  second pipe pic is most likely the 175.

Daniel P. McEntee

Thanks for the link. This looks like the place Roberto gets his stuff from, or is he the company? From the looks of the photos on that site, and the illustrations in my 72 Six Days manuals, I think this may be a 125 pipe. It has the two mounting brackets on it top and bottom like a 125, and none of the 175 illustrations I've seen show 2 mounting brackets. I'll keep investigating.
   Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, did a search of the list, and turned up some pictures of '72 and '73 JPs and it looks like they had the two over and under mounting brackets. Perhaps the I.D. of the header pipe at the exhaust manifold will tell the tale. Anybody got a stock JP pipe off a bike they can measure? I'm looking at 1.760" on my pipe.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee

linglewn

Dan,
I just measured a stock '73 JP exhaust header pipe. The I.D. is 1.75 and the O.D. measures 1.85-1.9. It has one frame mounting tab on the top toward the front and one on the bottom where it mounts to the right side of the frame. An additional mounting tab is at the top rear by the silencer. Hope this helps.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Daniel P. McEntee

Thanks Nelson. That's close enough for my book. Now, does anyone have a 125 Six Days CMF pipe that they can measure the inside diameter of the pipe inlet? If it's substantially smaller, I'll call this pipe of mine Jackpiner pipe and go on from there.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee

Keith Meatyard

Dan,
I sent you email with pics of 73 and 74 Jackpiner pipes.  The two do mount differently once past the first mount near the cyl head.  The ID of the inlet is 1.760".  Also, the muffler outlet on the 73 bolts on with three bolts through loops, and the 74 outlet is held on with a center stud coming through from inside the pipe through a hole which is between the two outlet ports.  A nut screws on the end of the stud, holding the outlet to the pipe.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Keith;
   Yeah, I got the pictures and they helped a lot. I'm leaning toward the thought that what I have is a '73 Jackpiner pipe, maybe the '72 model is the same? If I can get the dimension of a 125 pipe inlet, that should help seal the deal. I'm betting that it's smaller. Then I need to find a local pipe to borrow to use as a pattern to repair the shroud.
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

brian kirby

I dont have the measurement, but the 125 pipe is significantly smaller ID.

Brian
Brian

tofriedel

I have a near new 125 pipe, which I believe it to be a Torque pipe or a very good replica.  The measurements are as follows -
ID 1.44"  OD - 1.59".

Tony
Tony

Daniel P. McEntee

OK, thanks a lot guys. That pretty much tells me what I have, I think. now just have to locate a sample pipe to copy and I think I know where one is.
  Thanks again,
  Dan McEntee

Rocket

If you need the rear section of the pipe, usually the part that gets cut off and a small silencer put on in it's place, I have them made and ready to welded on to your pipe to make it back to original.
Rod G

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Rod;  Can you send me some pics and prices? This pipe has the perferated stinger on it stiil in breat condition. I don't have the pipe here in fron of me but I need the shroud from the last "fat" section seam on back. Might be about 3 sections, if that is the way you fab them? That's the way I was going to roll them once I found a pipe for a pattern. I'll include my email address.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee
 [email protected]