Vintage Koni Shocks Upside Down?

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 17, 2013, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Is it OK to run vintage Konis upside down on my Jackpiner?  They fit a lot better that way.

Mick
Mick

brian kirby

I dont think so, I think they are emulsion shocks so they would need to be run bodies down, but I could be wrong.

Brian
Brian

LeeBuff

Speaking of Koni shocks. Does anybody sell parts or a rebuild kit for Koni shocks? I need shafts and bushings and any other internal parts to rebuild shocks for my 100 Berkshire.

JP Morgen

For Koni stuff look up Robert Haag on the net.

LeeBuff

JP, I contacted Mr. Haag and he will not sell new parts, he only offered to sell used or imperfect parts. He also offered to rebuild my shocks. I would like to rebuild my own shocks to stay within my budget. Thanks for any more info on Koni parts, Lee

brian kirby

I cant believe as popular as these Koni shocks were that there are not seals for them. I have not measured the remote res Koni's on my '82 Husky, but apparently from doing some Googling the shafts are an odd size, 11.75mm so its an oddball size. Ikon supposedly bought out all the old stock from Koni and they have none left.

Brian
Brian

Mike Lenz

Its always said not to run the oil/air emulsion shocks upside down.. However, Ive seen on many it doesnt matter.  Heres how to tell.  Put the shock in the vice upside down and if you let it sit, all the way compressed,you will notice you have an air pocket in the last 1/2 inch of dampening.  You dont want all dampening to go away right before you bottom your suspension!  However, Ive noticed if you pump the shock a few times, this goes away due to the air and oil mixing up together.  If this "gap" at the end of the stroke goes away I dont see why they couldnt be run upside down.  Riding will keep the oil and air in a mixed state, it seems to me.  Im doing it.