Cracker Jacks

Started by joe novak, March 24, 2013, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe novak

"You never know what you get until you open your box of Cracker Jacks".   That statement best describes my most recent Penton acquisition.   Long story shortened.... an aquaintence who I had visited about four years ago to look at a canoe to purchase had an old steel tank Penton leaning against the wall in his garage.   I inquired about the Penton.  He said it was his first Penton and motorcycle, and intended to restore it "one day".   A mutual friend, Dwayne, gave us the same lecture about "too many projects and too little time", and "some days" that might never come along.   Yesterday, he decided to clean out the garage a bit so he would have room to work on a different project.   That old Penton ended up on my trailer, and I was at the right place at the right time....    V-2421 which seems to be a very late 69 or early 1970 model (all the features of the 70, except the small tabs on the frame for the swingarm bolt).   The GOOD: it's in my garage!  it rolls (now that the rusted chain is removed), nice engine turns over smoothly by hand with low compression, nice forks, Cerianni shocks, aluminum rims with clean spokes and intact hubs, carb slide works, Magura levers, MX airbox.  The BAD: "custom" exhaust pipe looks like it was donated from a snowmobile, broken and repaired frame in three places (two acceptable repairs and one aweful), old orange Preston Petty fenders, whipped out swingarm bushings, bolt, and frame area; aweful looking tank painted with spray cans about three colors, then attempted leaking-tank repair with fiberglass around the entire tank,  stripped kickstarter shaft, transmission needs adjustment.   joe

johnborn

Hi Joe.My Berkshire is a 1970 v 2420.v 2421 would also be a 1970.

joe novak

John,  Our 1970 Penton Berkshires may have been built on the same day.   They might even be TWINS!   I have seen your's and it is a real nice looking Penton.    joe

johnborn