Steel tank Jackpiner...

Started by skiracer, December 12, 2012, 11:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

So I was in St. Louis this past week visiting family, so of course I made my annual visit to the Dave Mungenast museum. Love that place! Anyway, tucked away in one of the many corners, I saw a steel tank Jackpiner, blue tank, Sachs engine and all! I didn't know that they existed. I always thought the Jackpiners came out with the KTM motors. Anyone care to give me a history lesson here? Thanks, Jl
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

brian kirby

It was the "152" engine I think, I've seen pics here before.

Brian
Brian

Paul Danik

Skiracer,

There were a low number of them built, and there is literature with the specs and photos.

The piece of literature is an early piece that shows a very young Jack Penton wearing linemans boots doing a wheelie on a green Steel Tanker in his Dad's yard. A MX version with a down pipe, and an enduro model of the Steel Tanker Jackpiner are both shown.  The caption under the MX states, "1970 Penton 175cc Moto Cross". The enduro version is photographed with Doug Wilford on board,the caption reads " Doug Wilford 1969 Busted Piston Enduro", but I am pretty sure that Doug disclosed to me one time that the water crossing in the picture was actually on the Penton farm :D

Brian is correct that they were actually punched out to 152cc machines.

This link will take you to one that was built at the Penton R&D building, it was originally owner by George Slater who worked with Ted Penton at the R&D shop. This particular bike is also a frame breather, it possibly is the one that Ted and Co. used to develop the frame breather system, it is serial # V 425.

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=168&hr=1

George SLater's son, JD Slater, took over as service manager for Penton Imports when John Cobb left to start his own shop.

In looking over this piece of literature I noticed that specs are provided for both the 125 and the Jackpiner, but there is no mention of the Berkshire, yet there is an earlier piece of Penton literature that does show the Berkshire and provide it's specs.

Paul

Kip Kern

I can shed some light on that bike as I restored it!  I found it at Mid Ohio many years ago in 2 pieces, purchased it and was dragging it across the field when John penton came over and asked me where I had gotten it.  I told him from the swap meet and was taking it home to restore to original.  I just happened to have the original dealer literature for the bike so I knew what I had found for sure (so did John!).  The cool thing was when John asked me what size engine was in it I indicated a 125cc Sachs with large radial head, he indicated that that was correct as they wanted to put some pressure on KTM to build a 175 and this was some of that pressure.  Shortly after that, Dane gave me the actual experimental Sachs 175 engine that was supposed to be used for the developement of that series of machines.  I restored the bike and the experimental 175cc Sachs engine to original and they are currently owned by Mr Bob Andersohn and placed in the Mungenast museum for all to enjoy. It was a 1970 model bike with a down pipe and the only one I know of that actually says "Jackpiner" on the original blue steel tank!;)

skiracer

Thanks a lot!  Very interesting story, and a great job restoring it!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Hercules 250 GS
1976 Hercules 175 GS
1982 Suzuki PE 175
2002 KTM 200 EXC
1976 Penton 175 GS
1981 KTM 250 (project)
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Paul Danik

Kip,

I stand corrected on those machines all having cast iron cylinders punched out to 152ccs.  In the Steel Tank Jackpiner literature both of the pictured bikes do have the larger alloy cylinder and heads.

Did the gas tank on the bike you restored have chrome knee indents, or were they white?  

Also, were the cylinder and head on the engine that was in the bike painted black?

Thanks,
Paul

Kip Kern

Paul

The tank had white knee indents and the cylinder and head were natural on that machine.  I have seen some Sachs with black painted cylinders and heads though. Happy holidays! It was a fun project, The Penton Puch was the bomb though!  A lot of work for sure! 2 Hiros were cool projects too;)

skiracer

Here is a photo of the bike....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Hercules 250 GS
1976 Hercules 175 GS
1982 Suzuki PE 175
2002 KTM 200 EXC
1976 Penton 175 GS
1981 KTM 250 (project)
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

brian kirby

Ha! Look at the poor little Candy Purple Yamaha HT-1 90 behind it. My Mom still has one just like that.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

So there are two 175's the 152 Iron punch out and the experimental alloy 175. And  the Iron barrel was the only bike in penton dealers show rooms?