Swing Arm Bearing Removal

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, May 30, 2013, 11:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

I've been getting a start on rebuilding a '74/75 400 and getting things stripped down for sandblasting and painting. Had a devil of a time getting the pivot bolt out, but finally succeeded. Then I decided the swing arm bearings needed to be replaced and struggled with them, having the same issues I'm sure most of you have had. I did a search of the forum and found a method that John Durril suggested and out they came! Thanks a lot John! The method involves taking a couple of flat washers and reshaping them so they fit through the bearings, then flop over but still fit the bore of the center tube tight enough to pick up the outer race of the bearing. Then you just drive them or press them out. Worked like a charm! While I have the bearings out, I checked the inside diameter of the tube for those that may want to try this and can or want to make a tool. The I.D. is .903" or so, right at 23mm. I intend to turn some cold rolled down to .880" or so , drill a 9/32" hole on center, then slice off some 3/16" slugs. Grind two sides parallel to each other so that they are about 5/8" wide. Chamfer or radius one edge so that there is clearance for it to flop over, and make sure the square edges are against the race. Then you can drive it out or use a long piece or all thread and a socket of appropriate size to act as a puller and gently pull them out if you are trying to save them. Nothing like having the right tool for the job! Hope this saves someone some trouble and aggravation.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Rain Man

and if the last person who installed the bearings used  "never-seize"

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons