VMD 2013 is in the books

Started by Paul Danik, July 21, 2013, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Just got home and wanted to thank everyone who helped in any way with the POG display, showed their Pentons, raced their Pentons, or in any way helped to fulfill the mission of the Penton Owners Group at VMD.

It was very gratifying to have so many folks stop at Pentonville and express how the POG display is a must visit for them every year, and many of these folks don't even have a Penton..

One of the many highlights for me over the weekend was attending the Champions and Riders of Husqvarna seminar with Dick Burleson, Malcolm Smith, Gunnar Lindstrom, Terry Cunningham, John Penton and several others. When the interviews were over and it was time for autographs the line seemed to never end.....and it looked to me like John Penton might have won the most items to sign contest. if there was one  :)

POG member Jake Fischer had several machines in the Husqvarna display including a beautifully restored 8 speed 400 that Jake had ridden to numerous victories, including several overall wins in the national enduro series. Jake's display included the original poster style announcements that Husky produced to promote the fact that Jake had won the national enduros riding a Husky...very nicely done history lesson Jake..:)

The folks from the American Motor Drome Wall of Death gave a few of us POG members a behind the scenes tour of their motor drome last night, explaining how it is moved from location to location, as well as providing some insight to how they " ride the wall ". They sure put on quite a show.

If anyone has more to add, including any race reports please feel free to do so....

Paul

PS  The dust control over the weekend was excellent :D  

Dale Fisher

Once again we had the honor over the weekend to celebrate JP and his accomplishments, display a number of the fine machines branded with his name, and welcome old and new friends back to Pentonville.  It is a rewarding experience when you are told countless times on how much the display is appreciated and looked forward to each year.  "Priceless" would be the description on the look on the faces of the individuals lined up to talk to John and gain his signature on one or more of a personal item.  Notably, there is at least one or more missing faces each year of individuals who made all of this possible. Personally, I took a moment to reflect on the fact that I know they were with us in spirit and their thoughts.  I look forward to doing it all again next year and the premier of the John Penton Movie!

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Paul Danik

This years POG shirt honoring Al Born was unveiled at VMD, as always shirt designer Scott Brogan did a super job, Thank you Scott...  The shirts sparked numerous Al Born stories and memories as they were sold to appreciative Penton and Al Born fans.  Al's son John allowed us to use Al's tricked out Honda racer is a display honoring Al. Dale Barris of On The Edge Honda allowed us to use a stock Honda in that display so folks could see just how street bikes had to be modified for racing before the advent of the Penton. Thank you John Born and Dale Barris.

POG membership officer Dale Fisher was kept busy all weekend with folks either wanting to renew their membership or join for the first time. Along with the constant flow of folks Dale had to attend to, he also had to attend to a flow of other sorts numerous times.  Great Job Dale.....  Dale let us use his beautiful Wassell trials machine for the POG "special display" as seen in the top photo above..

How is hanging out at the POG display like going on a cruise??  No it wasn't just the water this weekend, it is gaining weight from the awesome food. Dale Buehner once again fed the troops and fed them well.  How he was able to keep the galley working with all the rain and flooding is beyond me, but as always Dale did and outstanding job, and his efforts and skills are truly appreciated.

I am almost at a loss for words in trying to express the effect John Penton has on the entire VMD experience for legends of attendees.  No matter where he is at during VMD, and no matter who else is in attendance, John is THE rockstar, and a very gracious and accomadating one at that.  At the AMA Life Member breakfast, Grand Marshall Dick Burleson was asked who were the folks whom he felt had the most effect on his success, he first told of his wonderful and supportive wife, Dick then thanked John Penton as the person who had the most influence on his riding career, it was a shame that John wasn't in attendance to hear Dick's comments first hand.

More to come as the brain allows :D  Again, thanks to everyone for making this weekend such a memorable event.

Paul

Paul Danik

Also....need to thank Ollie and Al Martin for hauling the POG trailer to and from the event, as well as working to set up and take down the POG display. This father and son tag team have made the POG trailer a very efficient means of hauling the items we need, they have gone as far as posting pictures by most every item in the trailer showing just how it should be placed and secured for transit.

Another fellow who we could not do without is Jeff Borer.. Jeff is a virtual encyclopedia of knowledge about NSU motorcycles as well as the Penton machines, to name a few. Jeff is always quick to lend a hand or figure out a way to accomplish a task.

Last but not least today is Alan Buehner, to the casual observer Al is usually behind his mountain of parts helping folks solve their problems and possibly supplying a needed part. BUT, if you look closely Al is many times in two places at once...tending to his parts booth, and also taking care of many items in the POG display...and POG business.

I know I have surely forgotten some folks, but as was said at the beginning...THANK YOU to all who not only helped with the display, but also have supported the POG with your membership or in any other ways...

Paul

ALB

Being set up as a vendor at Mid-Ohio is a lot of work and because I am selling things, that means that I cannot get around during the day to see some of all the things going on. I would have liked to have been at the Husky tent during the day to attend one of the seminars but am grateful that Paul took the time to check it out and tell me about it later. Conrad loaned me his old "beater" KTM moped on Friday evening and I rode it over the bridge to the infield to look at the bikes on display in the tent.
     Dick Burleson surprised me on Friday morning by stopping by my stand and saying hi when he visited the POG display. I saw him again at the AMA Life member breakfast on Sunday where he sat a the table with Jeff Borer, Paul Danik, and I.
     I also got a chance to talk to Jeff Ferdette at the AMA breakfast. He talked about Ted del Solar who he see quite often and is amazed how Ted (who is in his 80's) is still riding.
     I enjoyed being around Jack Penton as he shared stories of being over in Europe for the filming of the John Penton Documentary.
     The rain at Mid-Ohio always puts a damper on the activities and puts a dent in my sales, but it gives me time to talk to people who dodge for cover under my tarp and tell them about John Penton and the POG. The rain also creates a lot of mud. A group of 4 young men took advantage of it on Saturday evening by slipping and sliding in it on the hill in front of their vendor space. They were covered from head to toe in mud when they walked past our display on the way to the showers to clean up. I called them the "mud larks" and they call their vendor spot "river city" because when it rains it collects and becomes a river there.
     I also enjoyed a night time chat with Paul Danik where we compared notes about all the good that the POG has done. Most of you do not realize how important a role the POG has played in the life of John Penton. It has been good medicine for his health and his enthusiasm has been good for us.
    The last thing that I would like to mention is meeting all the POG members and future POG members who show up to say hi. This event makes it possible for all of us to meet one another.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

seanguthrie

Very sad I did not make it this year.  Hopefully I can return next year.  My boys will be a little older and maybe it's time for their first Mid-O trip.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Dale Fisher

AMA photos of the racing are up :)

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/AMA-Racing/2013-AMA-VGC-MX/30702007_wzVGs6#!i=2653057131&k=9WCWzhH

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/AMA-Racing/2013-AMA-VGC-HS/30700572_gWSrnj#!i=2652883589&k=jc8QkvX

Dale Fisher

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Dale Fisher

Oh my! Water must have flowed up hill from our tent to the track area.  Mud-ohio racing at it's best ;)

[/URL][/img]

Dale Fisher

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,