KDX 200 up for adoption....must be a caring family

Started by Paul Danik, September 11, 2013, 07:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

A short time back a gentleman that I have known for many years decided to part with his two vintage motorcycles, 1977 Honda Elsinore and a 1990 KDX 200. We were able to come to terms and I did acquire the machines.

The mostly original Elsinore has already been placed with a collector who has a great appreciation for this machine, as he raced one just like it "back in the day", and who will have this machine displayed with his extensive vintage motorcycle collection which is on constant public view.

This brings us to the KDX 200. This machine was bought new by the gentleman that I acquired it from on September 27, 1990 for $2,936.84. Along with the bike came a folder of papers that include the original bill of sale, the Kawasaki Vehicle Dealer's Assembly and Preparation Check List, the New Delivery Check List, the original Kawasaki Motorcycle Owner's Manual, and a Kawasaki Motorcycle Service Manual for the KDX200, along with any an all paperwork and documentation associated with the machine from new.

The KDX 200 has a unique feature in that it is titled in Pennsylvania, the title has been transferred but I do have a copy of the original title.  But the most interesting feature of this machine is the mileage, 243 miles on a machine that is almost 23 years old. I did ride the bike, it fires right up and runs perfectly.

I can attest that this is the correct mileage as I have known this motorcycle since it was new. The machine is original in every way, tires, grips, handguards, lights, ect. The only item that is missing from the machine is the side stand and the original owner is still looking to see where he put it when he removed it as he kept the machine on a motorcycle stand and removed the side stand.

Everyone who has seen the KDX has been in awe of it's condition. If it were a Penton I would surely be wanting to display it along with the documentation, but it is not. I am looking for a person, shop, dealer, museum, or whom ever that appreciates the historic value of this machine and who hopefully will preserve and display it. Wishful thinking, possibly, but I want to give it a shot and will appreciate any leads or guidance any of you can provide. If at all possible, I do not want to see this bike ridden and the historic value if it
destroyed.  

[email protected]

Thanks
Paul

imported_n/a

Hi Paul, I had a new 1993 KDX200, last year of that same model and it was amazing. Can't believe I let it go. What do you place the dollar value at for this one. Just wondering but I'd be too tempted to ride it instead of preserve it [}:)]

Regards,

Chris Heeter

Paul Danik

Hi Chris,

I am looking to sell the bike for about what it sold for new, nothing cast in stone, it was $ 2,936.84 new....not looking for all that loose change :)  Proper placement of the machine means a lot to me, I realize it isn't a rare specimen in comparison to many that we see on display, but even the local dealer who saw the bike today, and sold them when they were new, was taken back by it's condition and low mileage.

He is possibly interested in the bike to ride very occasionally at certain events to bring attention to his shop and the marque, sort of as a pit bike, then display it at the shop. Like I mentioned before, I just hope that the machine wouldn't be ridden just as a rider and begin to look like most other 20 +++ year old machines.

Thanks,
Paul