Bing Carburetor

Started by tmc3c, June 30, 2002, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What is the best way to clean a carb that has been sitting up for a long time? Would it be best to replace the jets and needle& float? This carb is all intact but has white build up on the slide and in the bowl.When I bought this bike the gas in the tank was like jelly.Is the Bing the best way to go for the 250? I am hoping to do a Carl Crank porting job along with the speed pipe.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

joeaw

I hve just thought of this recently, but have not had the opportunity to try it out. My wife is a firm believer in Lime-Away. We have hard water in our area and ge meineral build-up on faucets, etc. Lime-Away takes it right off. I thought I would try it the next time I got a "white" carburetor, but the opportunity just has not presented itself. She likes the squeeze bottle better than the spray, says it is stronger. You might try it on the float bowl first, you're not likely to hurt it.

tmc3c

HEY JOEAW, THANKS FOR THE TIP.I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT, I TOO DON'T THINK IT COULD HURT AND IT JUST MIGHT DO THE TRICK.I WONDER IF IT WILL LEAVE ANY RESIDUE IN THE CARB?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Hey guys,

I've used CLR (stuff from the household cleaning section) and it works very well. Don't use it on old spokes though, it eats the coating off. (found out the hard way) But it does work well on carbs. There is another product called Barrimans (sp) B-12 that will open everything up, but won't get out the white build up.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Hey Donny, Where do you get this Barrimans sp12? Did you soak the carb in this? Did you remove float?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

You can find the B-12 stuff at most automotive stores. An old friend of mine used it as am additive to he fuel in his street rod too.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Thanks Donny, I will look for it at advance auto parts. Thanks for the tip!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler