marzocchi piggy back shocks

Started by tmc3c, May 25, 2002, 06:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I have a pair of piggy backs shocks that nobody has been able to rebuild.Should I just trash the idea of trying to put this bike back to the original way it was in 76? I am planning on racing the bike in a.h.r.m.a hare scrambles.Any ideas?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

What Zoke parts do you need for rebuild?  I have a box full.  There are plenty of people that can do the labor.

tmc3c

I am not sure. I sent the shocks to h&h ktm and Barry Higgins said I think," he couldn't find the seals for the re build".I was wanting them to be like new and in good working condition,after about a month I got them back and still no closer. He said I would be better off with a set of works than these, but I was hoping to stay original.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

If you have the bigger shaft ones I have the seals.  Measure and let me know.  Or shock model # will do also.

tmc3c

Thanks Larry for your trouble!! I couldn't find any model # on the shocks,But with a standard tape,while holding the shock the width appears to be 1/4 inch wide. Not measured around.Is any markings or features I could describe to help? Thanks again

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike OReilly

If it is of assistance to you, I a blow up diagram of the shocks together with the rebuild instructions. E-mail me your address if required.

tmc3c

Thanks Mike thats really nice of you to do that.I will see if thats what I need to do,First I am having a time finding parts for these shocks and I am beginning to wonder if it is the best way to go.I am planning on riding and racing this bike and I am wondering how bad of a disadvantage using these shocks will be. I am sure there is a good bit but I will race only a few meets down here in the south, you know where the woods are real tight and sand everwhere.What do you think?  any ideas?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Hey Larry,  I guess you think I must be nuts!!I told you that the shafts measured 1/4. Well all I can say in my defense is that I just came off a 12hr shift.The shaft measured 1/2 wide. I must have been about sleep,so I hope this narrows my hunt. Thanks again

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

chris richardson

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of works, progrssive, ohlins, whatever.I'd choose from those three.

If the bike is to be campaigned on the AHRMA circuit, you want fresh, reliable stuff.

Do whatever you can to reduce failure risk (and maintenance) on your race machine. Shocks, tires, tubes, sprockets,chain,bars, levers, spokes, cables, break shoes, filters, seals, springs, oils should all be of modern, recent manufacture whenever possible.

This will "free up" your raceday attention to improving lap times and let you concentrate on lines, break points and race strategy.

Original equipment is the choice for a restoration "show" bike. Nothing wrong with that either, just dont try to get both race and show from one MX bike. You will drive yourself nuts and broke.

chilly pepper

OUCWBOY

I agree with Chris, rebuild the shocks for show, but not for use. You want to get the best ride, I'm sure. Go for the new shocks.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Thanks guys,  I will do what you suggest soon, but I got a tip on where to find the rebuild kits for marzocchi from pog member Chip Thomas and I am trying to go back original but I am also going ahrma.Do ya'll like one shock over another? I guess I am looking at $300.00 right? I am just dying to ride this bad boy,but I still am a long way out.  hopefully next year mid Ohio I'll be there, all the way from S.C. Thanks Again!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler