Flyheel holder

Started by Steve Minor, October 21, 2013, 05:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I was resetting the timing on my 400 yesterday and ran into a small problem. Does anybody have a slick trick for holding the flywheel while loosening/tightening the nut? I seem to remember my old 72 Husky 250WR had a rod bent like a "J" that slipped over the footpeg and held the flywheel. Anybody ever tried the flywheel holders made on the vise grip principle with pins instead of jaws? I think Pro Motion makes one.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Randy Kirkbride

Steve,
I always used one of those chain-style vice grips.

Kip Kern

A Pin Spanner that fits into both holes on the Motoplat

Steve Minor

Kip.....you talking about a pin spanner that looks sort of like a nut cracker from the kitchen drawer?

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Dale Sonnenschein

I use a peice of round steel bent to wrap around the foot peg mount and hook a hole in the fly wheel Works both directions

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r
75 BMW r75/6

Rob Thatcher

I have a set of the vice grip like pliers that have pins on one side and holders on the others.  They worked fine, just watch for the sensor tab that sticks up out of the motoplat.

Kip Kern

Steve, Yes, Rob has the same idea and yes, don't put the spanner pins in too deep.  I have one made for the Motoplat (Dealer Tool)has short pins that fit exactly into the flywheel and doesn't go too deep. Has a chain wrench built on to the other end of the wrench for holding the CS sprocket to tighten it.:)

tomale

I have used the vise grip/chain pliers and it works pretty good but I made a tool that locks into the holes on the fly wheel . It us sort of like a pin spanner but not.  Works good.  I made one to fit the PVL too.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki
Honda TL 125
2004 Suzuki DL1000

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W